Hi From A Newbee With A Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelea

Reaction score
hi everyone
first up thank-you to Dane (i had trouble registering
biggrin.gif
)

well I've been cruising many sites reading up about making cider,maybe too much reading coz in the end i was just confused
huh.gif

so i threw myself in the deep end and done this

9 lt coles smartbuy apple juice
1 pk SN9 yeast
1kg of sugar
half handful of raisins boiled in 150ml water

which gave me a SG of 1.080
and its bubbling away like bubble machine
My problem is i didnt take into account the sugar in the juice (103 grams p/litre)

can i throw in another 3lt of juice when i rack it to reduce the alcohol content ???

cheers

can i throw in another 3lt of juice when i rack it to reduce the alcohol content ???

Probably not the best idea - particularly if you're bottling - by adding more juice, you're adding more fermentables - which the yeast will eat, and release CO2 - which will cause bottles to expand, and then explode (known around these parts as bottle bombs).

maybe throw in half - 2/3 a bottle once ferment is finished then bottle. no need to prime bottles as if it is ~100g/l you will be putting in 150-200g of sugar which should be a safe amount for carbonation.

but then again this will increase ur alc content ~0.5%...

maybe when conditioned when pouring into glass, dilute desired amount with juice, maybe 3/4 cider, 1/4 juice. otherwise just drink and get hammered :p

After fermenting is done if i add 1lt water ,2lt juice which will add 206gm of sugar do u think this will drop the alcohol content and prime my bottles??

You can add the juice now and let it ferment right out - then there will be no bottle bombs. Or you can add it later and again, let it ferment right out.

It will dilute it a bit as you will be making higher volume but with lower gravity fermentable. Water will dilute the flavour.

Next time, forget the sugar and just use apple juice.

thanks for all your replys

i think i will follow manticle suggestion

"You can add the juice now and let it ferment right out - then there will be no bottle bombs"

so after fermenting out
i rack it
bottle it,but do i still use carbonation drops as per ussaul?? i think i do but just wanna check

yes. so long as it has finished, you will need sugar to get fizz.

maybe when conditioned when pouring into glass, dilute desired amount with juice, maybe 3/4 cider, 1/4 juice. otherwise just drink and get hammered :p

The first cider I made was like moonshine. A couple of long necks of that stuff and you'd be well smashed. Tasted good though. I reckon leave it strong and enjoy the ride. :p

JD.

The cyser I made can truly **** you up quick. So damn smooth, easy to drink. Never added table sugar as a primary fermentable to my cider though. No need. Honey though ... :icon_drunk:

thanks for all your replys

i think i will follow manticle suggestion

"You can add the juice now and let it ferment right out - then there will be no bottle bombs"

so after fermenting out
i rack it
bottle it,but do i still use carbonation drops as per ussaul?? i think i do but just wanna check

Yes. It will ferment right out though - 1.000 or even lower so make well and truly sure it is finished before bottling with more sugar.

just an update

started drinking this brew a few days ago.
i think it tastes awesome,not to fizzy and a bit of a apple after taste
oh yeh ,and potent :icon_drool2:

thanks again for all your replys

Back