Hi all, new to brewing, and i have a question too!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, Heth here!

I've done another test now since giving the fermenter a twist to dislodge the yeast and it is still at 1.019....

so my question to you guys! can i pitch a coopers yeast? my friend has heaps of them and said i can have one.

I don't believe the fermentation is finished and i realy dont want to bottle it at 1.019 at fear of bottle bombs

hG7NbcDl.jpg

please let me know!

What beer u doing ?? I just bottled my coopers larger today . Mine was a bit higher then your reading but . Haven't u put ya yeast in yet ??

it has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks,

its a cascade imperial voyage pale ale, brew enhancer #15 and the included yeast in the kit/can lid

I left the sample to sit for another 2 hours same gravity reading and there is a lot of sediment in the tube.

byG7em0l.jpg

If it's not too late, pour the hydro sample (including the sediment) into a cleaned and sanitised plastic drink bottle to do a fast ferment test - basically keep it warm (~mid 20C's), shake it frequently (watch out for the froth tho) and test the gravity after a day or so.

Idea is that this will make it ferment as far as it's ever going to and gives you an idea of where your current brew can get to.

dammit i just tipped it... and rinsed out my test tube...

what I've done in the mean time. I moved the fermenter into my office under my desk. its now on carpet (still on the heater pad with the probe stuck to it) but its now out of the laundry and away from the tile floor.

i gave it a swirl to rouse the yeast again... if this fails. i will simply pitch a spare US-05 or saf-4 or something.

I'll take another sample tomorrow and do what you suggest too if still no changes.

Troy294 said:
What beer u doing ?? I just bottled my coopers larger today . Mine was a bit higher then your reading but . Haven't u put ya yeast in yet ??
Hey Troy
I would be careful around those bottles, hopefully you have bottled into PET. I say this because 1.019 would be way too high for the Coopers Lager kit and you say yours finished higher. Potential bottle bombs, if you have bottled into glass I would be putting a blanket over them and staying clear for a couple of weeks.

Heth you are right to be cautious, most Pale Ales should finish lower, if your yeast has stalled you have no option but to repitch.

Since no one has mentioned the absolutely obvious, thought I might mention a few points for you to ponder.

Extract can be as low as 62% fermentable

Plus you added some adjuncts, some fermentable some not. These sugars will raise OG, some will ferment out completely some not at all.

Could well be done!

Screwy

#15 Brew Booster - Contents are - 500g Dextrose 250g Maltodextrin 250g Malt Extract Note:

Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. The Light Dry Malt, being 100% pale malt, will further add to the body.

screwtop, are you suggesting that my beer may actually be finished fermenting just with a high gravity? at 1.019?

interesting!... well, i could bottle it and store it in a place where if it does bottle bomb, it will not damage or soil anything.
then i can begin my Grain and Grape wort.

edit: just rang liquorcraft where i purchased my kit from, they suggest with the enhancer i added. i amount i made and my gravitys being stable for 1 week, its ready to bottle. it should just be a full body, full taste beer.

Latest posts

Back