Help With Wok Burner And Keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a wok burner and a keggle that I can only get to boil if I have the lid on. Even when its half off it doesn't stay boiling.

It take almost 2 hours to boil 25lts.

I'm using a lp gas reg at the moment and I'm thinking I should go get a adjustable or a hp reg.

I'm mashing at the moment and want to get this into the fermenter before midnight.

Also where would I be able to find one in Melbourne on a Sunday?

Cheers

Fil

Not sure where you would be able to buy an adjustable reg today. Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

I'm in the northern suburbs just rang a camping store and he's going to get back to me. He said it will be around $60 is that a good price? I know bunnings sells a three ring burner with reg for $79 maybe I should just get that.

$60 for a medium pressure adjustable reg? With a hose? If so, grab it.

You'd be able to find one a bit cheaper elsewhere but unlikely to get you hands on it today. And you're going to need it today if you're mashing right now.....

forget the 3 ring, get yourself a NASA

ps. coming from someone who owns a 3ring, a Mongolian and 2 NASA burners.

I now only use the NASA burners

If you don't want to wait for one from the US, BCF sell them on a stand with the reg

If you really want to try a bigger reg, get a 0-207kPa reg. (some call med pressure, some call it high pressure)

QldKev

My 4 ring burner struggled to get the keggle boiling with the low pressure reg. Now with the adjustable med pressure reg and a drilled out jet I can get 40 odd litres in a keggle boiling fairly quickly using only the second largest ring. It's as quiet as a mouse too ;)

what size can you drill the holes out to?? I was thinking of doing that but I am no gas fitter so not to sure what would happen lol. my 3 ring on about 25kpa will get 24lts of tap water to 80c in under 30mins on my keggle, the Italian spiral is quicker but I only use the 3 ring for HLT.

what size can you drill the holes out to?? I was thinking of doing that but I am no gas fitter so not to sure what would happen lol. my 3 ring on about 25kpa will get 24lts of tap water to 80c in under 30mins on my keggle, the Italian spiral is quicker but I only use the 3 ring for HLT.

Can't remember the exact drill sizes, it would be really easy to go too big. You only want to open them up a fraction. I drilled out the jet for the small ring a bit too big and now it just burns a sooty orange flame. Good thing I don't use the small ring.

Be careful here unless you can also adjust the air intake on the three ring burner. If you enlarge jets without adjusting the air it will burn orange (rich) and soot everything up and make a mess, as well as further reducing the efficiency of your burner. I'd use an oxy file kit and slowley increase the jets before going with drill bits.

Cheers

Hirns

Be careful here unless you can also adjust the air intake on the three ring burner. If you enlarge jets without adjusting the air it will burn orange (rich) and soot everything up and make a mess, as well as further reducing the efficiency of your burner. I'd use an oxy file kit and slowley increase the jets before going with drill bits.

Cheers

Hirns

Good idea using oxy tip files. The jets only need small adjustments.

Back