Help With High Alcohol% Brew..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think he needs that does he Pumpy? He's already got 75% attenuation. Sounds like it's probably done.

Sorry Stu I never read properly , I thought it had stopped :blink:

Pumpy

hooky, if you bottle that beer now, it will be 8.25% alcohol. I reckon pitch some champagne yeast and get it down to 1005, that should give you 10.25%. challenge your mates to 100 shots in 100 minutes.

hooky, if you bottle that beer now, it will be 8.25% alcohol. I reckon pitch some champagne yeast and get it down to 1005, that should give you 10.25%. challenge your mates to 100 shots in 100 minutes.

She'll be high allright, but so dry it'll turn your ears backwards :lol:

Champagne yeast won't make any difference - american ale yeast will easily handle higher alc than it's presently at... if it's finished it's finished B)

cheers Ross

Bottle half when it has stopped, then add the champers yeast to the rest. good for a comparison, I reckon you'll enjoy the champersless one better.

maybe another kilo of dextrose will give it that little kick that it may be missing now? ferment for another week. keep it cool, serve immediately.

If anyone is interested, I checked again last night and it had dropped again now at 1019 so i gave it a gentle swirl and held off on bottling. The samples taste very bitter, almost undrinkable to my liking. Would the extra Dex balance it out a bit Coogee? Open for suggestions. Champagne yeast, haven't really read much about that. Would the Dex + yeast be the way to go?

There's a little here and there about champers yeast. I used it in half of 'The Sugar Monster', the stuff w/o it tasted so much better.

The rest was drinkable but really just too dry, not what I beer I really enjoy should taste like.

Do a half and half comparison, that will be the best way to decide for yourself - and give us all some good feedback.

hey,
yep in hindsight i probably should have saved the packet yeast for later. I used a quality safale yeast initially so im hoping that did the majority of the fermenting. in response to WHY im doing a high alcohol brew, its just because i want to try it. My friends would stop stealing so much of my beer if they were drunk i suppose! anyway its still in the fermenter, probably bottle friday, ill try the alcohol calulator you suggested. thanks again, dane

no worries hooky, hi-jack away. was interesting reading your probs aswell. Not too sure about the champagne yeast? i dont think ill bother with it, im about to bottle mine tomorrow but now im worried about the long necks exploding..i was planning on just filling them maybe 3/4 full and hoping for the best. ive got the plastic ones that came with the kit aswell, theyre probably a better idea but i just prefer glass. i reckon the glass should hold out, theyre pretty tough..i hope..let me know how yours go

I wouldn't fill them 3/4 full. If they are going to blow, that won't stop them and there is just more risk of oxidation. Try using a few of the plastic bottles as testers. You can tell by squeezing them when the brew is carbonated. Then just do some quality testing every few days :chug: until you are sure they are right. :party:

I wouldn't fill them 3/4 full. If they are going to blow, that won't stop them and there is just more risk of oxidation. Try using a few of the plastic bottles as testers. You can tell by squeezing them when the brew is carbonated. Then just do some quality testing every few days :chug: until you are sure they are right. :party:

I think 3/4 full increases the chances of them exploding.

cheers

Darren

Well it's been two weeks since bottling and i'm a bit impatient so i'm gunna give some a whirl tonight. :unsure: I think a couple more weeks should mellow it a bit more though. won't hurt to crack a couple though. :chug:

Back