Help Setting Up Chest Freezer/keg Greater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently in the process of converting a chest freezer into a keggerator. Was just wondering about what I will need. I know I'll need gas, kegs, beer/ gas line, and regulator. And I'm currently making up and order with http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com which includes 4 perlick 425ss taps + 4" shanks, 6way gas manifold, 4 ball lock disconnect sets. Does this sound right? What else will I need? Also I'm not sure which type of disconnect to get (barbed or mfl) any help would be great cheers.

your first post will be about foaming beer when pouring so add to the list a pc fan wired to a mobile phone charger. This will circulate the cold air more evenly and prevent the hot air rising and sitting around the back of your tap shanks. Also put in a tub of damp rid to help control mould.

A tap shank tool as well so you can tighten it all up, thread tape for the back of the perlick shanks and hosetail connection. Its the little things that often get forgotten ;0

John Guest connections are great and make it all easy but once on the old barb ones are ok. I assume you already have a temp control box too and drip tray idea sorted.

Bit of a blow that the flow control taps aren't SS, do you specifically want SS? Flow control is pretty awesome, saves a fridge full of beer line.

If you go with barbed you've got the disconnect stuck on the end of the line and that's a bit harder to clean. With the JG you can disconnect the line to clean and soak the disconnects. You can also get a JG fitting that goes onto the shank.

your first post will be about foaming beer when pouring so add to the list a pc fan wired to a mobile phone charger. This will circulate the cold air more evenly and prevent the hot air rising and sitting around the back of your tap shanks. Also put in a tub of damp rid to help control mould.

A tap shank tool as well so you can tighten it all up, thread tape for the back of the perlick shanks and hosetail connection. Its the little things that often get forgotten ;0

John Guest connections are great and make it all easy but once on the old barb ones are ok. I assume you already have a temp control box too and drip tray idea sorted.
cool thanks mate I'll look into a computer fan, where would I get a shank tool? I think I'll do a search on John guest fittings as I don't really know what they are.
Bit of a blow that the flow control taps aren't SS, do you specifically want SS? Flow control is pretty awesome, saves a fridge full of beer line.

If you go with barbed you've got the disconnect stuck on the end of the line and that's a bit harder to clean. With the JG you can disconnect the line to clean and soak the disconnects. You can also get a JG fitting that goes onto the shank.
thanks mate, I would like flow control and was a bit diss appointed they don't have it in ss. Is there a real advantage of ss over chrome plated?

My Celli's are chrome plated and they are superb - no issues. Judging by the guys lining up to get the chrome plated Perlick's they look like they will be great - plenty of regular posters planning on getting them in that thread. You're looking at 6-9ft or so per line if not - saves an awful lot of stuffing around with the carbonation/flow and it's a PITA getting kegs in and out with lots of line in there.

You can use barb disconnects for the gas by the way as you don't need to regularly clean those obviously, can save a few bux there.

Chesty convetsion wiki article with pics is in my sig. Should see u right

Whoever u buy tge gear off should able to assist u with working out parts. Ross (craft brewer) was great

Barbs v quick disonnrtcs... No contest for me. Disconnetcs leaves the skin on ur jnuckles lol. QD are brilliant. Saves time and hassle.

Flow controller rocks for the lazy kegger.

Back