Help on biab IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtopbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys I will brewing out of a 21 litre pot and have a recipe for an IPA so I need some help and ideas!
300 grams of caramalt grains ( steeping )
300 grams of crystal grains ( steeping ) both 30 mins..

2.5kgs of dry malt extract

10 grams of vic secret flour hops, aau's is at 15.9% for bitterness

30 grams of cascade hops ( pellets ) 30 mins into the boil

30 grams of cascade hops ( pellets ) last 10 mins of the boil

30 grams of simcoe hops ( pellets ) dry hopped

Any advice on this recipe as an IPA or changes please get back to me as I love to brew a nice big hoppy IPA. Cheers!!

I would be more inclined to use the simcoe as a flameout addition than dry hop, you might find the aroma and some flavour lasting longer than a dry hop. I'm no expert with vic secret but a lot of people seem to use flowers for late additions although that is sometimes for their filtering and sometimes when the AA is unknown...

As pat says above
+
Vic secret is best used late in the boil or dry hopped. I'd throw it in thr dry hop.
Simcoe is a great hop. Aroma it. It's good.
Looking at above it also depends on if your chilling or no chilling.

My 2c

Find a nice clean bittering hop (magnum is good) rather than Vic secret

Use the Vic secret and Simcoe for late additions and dry hop with the cascade. Simcoe in dry hop can apparently be harsh. I love it, lots of people don't . Vic secret should also be good dry hop, but oddly enough I've never used it that way; I keep meaning to but always seem to run out...

If you really want to bring the hops forward, aim for 25% or less of the overall bitterness to come from the early bittering addition and everything else from the late (20 min or less) additions. Mitch Steele of Stone brewing recommends keeping under 10 IBU for the bittering addition and it works. If you no chill, hops in the cube are about equal to a 15 to 20 min steep

IMO just brew it. It's going be pretty good anyway, and you can tweak it in future if you want to rebrew as you learn about what each ingredient brings to the table.

The only change I would make personally is to reduce the 30 min addition a bit and up the late one to keep the same IBU which will increase the flavour/aroma.

It's brew night tonight and I appreciate your feed back guys, cheers for all your help to making my beers taste even better!! Talk soon..

Back