Help.... Golden Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheebz81

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member to this site, and also a newbie when it comes to brewing. So far I have brewed a few beers using Morgan's kits. They have turned out ok, but I wouldn't say they are anywhere near the best beers I have ever tasted. However they have been drinkable!

I have stumbled upon a recipe to make a beer something similar to a James Squire Golden Ale. The recipe is as follows:

1 X Morgan's Stockman's Draught
1 X Morgan's Master Malt Beer Enhancer
1 X Morgan's 12g Amarillo Finishing Hops
1 X Premium Ale Yeast
* Option to dry hop more Amarillo Hops on day 4 of ferment if desired.

My question is do I still need to add a kilo of fermentables or does the Master Malt Beer Enhancer take the place of this? I asked the guy in the brew shop and he seemed to think I didn't need to add a kilo of sugars, however after doing my own research I think I may need to but am not sure.

Any help with this and/or additional advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Brad

The tin of beer enhancer (assuming it is an unhopped malt extract) will take the place of sugar/dextrose.

Try searching for AHB for Dr Smurtos Golden Ale recipe (kit version) on here.

The tin of beer enhancer (assuming it is an unhopped malt extract) will take the place of sugar/dextrose.

Try searching for AHB for Dr Smurtos Golden Ale recipe (kit version) on here.

Thanks Reedy..... I'll use it in place of sugar/dextrose. That Dr Smurtos Golden Ale recipe is similar to this one by the looks of it. I noticed that one makes 20 ltrs as opposed to 23. Would you advise me to make mine up to 20 ltrs or still go to 23? What impact will this have on the end product?

Go with the volume the recipe you are using states. I would also dry hop as recommended in your recipe (will give you more hop flavour/aroma that just the tins).

A lot of the kit & kilo style recipes are based on 23L as typically people who brew this way are packaging their beer in the PET bottles (i.e. will us 30 or so PET bottles).

Once people get into kegging, they generally do 20L batches, as the cornelius kegs most homebrewers use only hold 19L.

23L makes sense.... I'll go this way as per the recipe. I'll take your advice and dry hop more of the amarillo hops also.

As for the PET bottles...... Used these for my first couple of brews before switching to crown seal glass bottles. I am finding that the glass bottles result in better carbonation. Would like to have a crack at kegging down the track but that is a little ways off for me just yet!

Your advice and knowledge is much appreciated Reedy..... Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I finally got around to sampling this little gem tonight after bottling it around a fortnight ago. Easily one of the best beers I have brewed thus far. I chose not to dry hop the second lot of Amarillo hops..... Next time I will add them out of curiosity but very happy with the result anyway. Very drinkable 2 weeks after bottling, however I am determined to show some self restraint and leave it another 4 weeks before having another taste. A cracking beer and a recipe I would highly recommend!

Looks good mate :) My first good beer was pretty much the same thing - kit beer with added amarillo. once i tried that, i have never been able to go back to the old kit beers.

Reedy is right though, give Dr Smurtos a try with your leftover amarillo. The dr smurtos is basically this:

- you grab your kit of choice - coopers pale ale is ok
- get a bag of Light Dry Malt Extract (instead of the enhancer/sugar)-
- 250gm of light crystal malt, crushed grains
- safale us-50 yeast
- 50gm amarillo

Steep the crystal malt in 2L of hot water from the tap for half hour or so and then chuck it through your kitchen strainer into a pot.
Pour 2l of hot/just boiled water over the strainer holding grains into the pot (this is called a sparge)

Boil those 4 litres, add an extra few litres of water if u can (depending what size pot you have)

Once it's boiling, add 25gm amarillo for 15minutes

Take it off boil, mix with your can and the light dry malt extract and top up with cold water to 18-20 degrees

add yeast, ferment as normal

The other 25g amarillo is for dry hopping, definitely give it a shot!

Once you try this, I would really REALLY recommend doing full extract beers. You don't need any more equipment, the ONLY difference is a 60minute boil instead of 20 minute. But anyway, worry about that later...

Last edited:
I finally got around to sampling this little gem tonight after bottling it around a fortnight ago. Easily one of the best beers I have brewed thus far. I chose not to dry hop the second lot of Amarillo hops..... Next time I will add them out of curiosity but very happy with the result anyway. Very drinkable 2 weeks after bottling, however I am determined to show some self restraint and leave it another 4 weeks before having another taste. A cracking beer and a recipe I would highly recommend!

On my first try at dry hopping (and it was Amarillo), I ended up with a lot of little bits of hop in the bottle, and I probably over did it with the amount as well. Not the best introduction and it put me off dry hopping for a while. I just did a 23 litre brew dry hoped with Galaxy, Cascade and Vic Secret total 80 grams. Chilled the fermenter about 5 days after dry hopping to get everything out of suspension, and then kegged it. It must have been very good because the keg was empty in no time.

So you have a lot more great home brews to come.

- safale us-50 yeast

US-05 maybe though [emoji6]

Laxation is right though. That's a good recipe to kick things off.
Not enough time in the day or toys to play with sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info and feedback guys. I will definitely give that recipe a run at some stage down the track Laxation. I am loving the Amarillo at the moment. As Brewnicorn says; sometimes it's a matter of having enough time to play. I'll get there one day though as I do enjoy experimenting when time permits!

Tropico..... that beer must have been good if the keg was emptied in no time. I'm finding that's one of the biggest dilemnas at the moment. I can't seem to supply enough to meet the demand! Might need to set up the second barrel I have to increase production. I have a pale ale and a cerveza planned to get ready for summer so might get them both on tomorrow with a bit of luck!

Cheers fellas :)

Back