Help - Brew Stopped Bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekhenry

Reaction score
Hi everyone - im new here but i need some help with a newcastle brown im brewing. I started it on sunday and by tuesday morning it still hadnt started bubbling so i screwed the lid down tighter and it started but on thursday the bubbling was really slow and now it had basically stopped. It started on 1040 and its still only 1030 - Could it be just really slow or is it rubbish?
Thanks in advance
Bek

Hey bek, welcome to AHB...

What temperature is the fermenter going at?

Maybe its a bit cool?

If so, fill the bath with some warm water and put the fermenter in. This may get the yeast going.

Alternatively, if the temp is right, swirl the contents gently (careful not to splash) this will give the yeast a kick along.

WJ

Too cold this time of year - I doubt it.

Bek, dont worry about bubbleing airlocks, just keep useing your hydrometer. Something you might like to try is putting glad wrap with one pin hole over the top of your fermenter sealed with a big rubber band instead of the lid. It will allow you to see everything thats going on with the ferment
You might need to provide more info on what temperature, yeast, batch size, recipe etc so people can provide you with better feedback. Also letting us know your location may help.

Check and double check your reading, check your hydro (search), strange that it's been fermenting since Sunday and only done 25%. How sure are you of the OG of 1.040, what did you use (ingredients)? And what yeast, what ferm temp.

Cheers,
Screwy

Sorry for the hijack, bek

Yes, Screwtop, she is ours...13 years old and going strong.

WJ

Question mark now noted.......Perhaps Bek is a tasmanian??? (more question marks) :D

LOL, snagler..

I've heard you can get internet in Antarctica. But I wouldn't think you'd be able to brew there in ambient conditions.

WJ

Ps. bek, tell us where you are *question mark*

Hey again,

I'm In Sydney! The temp has been sitting at 22 - im using brewcraft newcastle brown with maltodextrin dextrose and something else? (hubby threw the packets out :angry: )

Cant remember if there were any othe details i left out?

Bek - who's drinking the last of her stout :eek:

LOL, snagler..

I've heard you can get internet in Antarctica. But I wouldn't think you'd be able to brew there in ambient conditions.

WJ

Ps. bek, tell us where you are *question mark*

Back