Help - Boiled The Bag!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbrownrosie

Reaction score
Happily brewing a replica J.SquireGolden Ale kit....After carefully reading the instructions, I think I may have done the new brew in...

For some reason, probably old age and thirst related, I tipped the Mangrove Jack Blonde Lager pouch into the saucepan when I was boiling up the sugars and hops.... :eek:

After re-reading the instructions, I realised the MJ pouch should have been tipped into the fermenter, not added to the saucepan and boiled... :(

Have I murdered old Mangrove Jack???

Brew is still in the cooling down phase before tipping into the fermenter - should I take any 'recovery' action, or is it likely to be OK??

Still learning, but what pleasant subject....

Any advice would be welcome,
BBR..

Happily brewing a replica J.SquireGolden Ale kit....After carefully reading the instructions, I think I may have done the new brew in...

For some reason, probably old age and thirst related, I tipped the Mangrove Jack Blonde Lager pouch into the saucepan when I was boiling up the sugars and hops.... :eek:

After re-reading the instructions, I realised the MJ pouch should have been tipped into the fermenter, not added to the saucepan and boiled... :(

Have I murdered old Mangrove Jack???

Brew is still in the cooling down phase before tipping into the fermenter - should I take any 'recovery' action, or is it likely to be OK??

Still learning, but what pleasant subject....

Any advice would be welcome,
BBR..

How long did you boil for? Beer will be more bitter as a result, beers ive done with a similar process in the past have been substantially bitter.
Ferment it out and wait and see.

If your talking about the YEAST THEN YES ITS FUCKED
Get fresh yeast quickly then all should be good

Do you mean a bag of hops? or the bag of yeast?

If hops, it'll be fine

If yeast, you'll need to get a new pack to add to the fermenter.

How long did you boil for? Beer will be more bitter as a result, beers ive done with a similar process in the past have been substantially bitter.
Ferment it out and wait and see.

Only a couple of minutes before I realised.

The 'bag' I am talking about has Malt extract, Barley Extract, Caramel, Hop Extract, and dried brewing yeast. You steep some crushed grain, strain, then boil up the liquor, add a can of light malt extract to it, 250gm of wheat malt, add hops, boil 2 mins, steep another 15 mins, then strain into the fermenter.

Next stage is add the hops, which I am about to do!!

Thanks for your advice - I'll let it go for a couple of days and see what it does...

Cheers!

Do you mean a bag of hops? or the bag of yeast?

If hops, it'll be fine

If yeast, you'll need to get a new pack to add to the fermenter.

Thanks Glen - I'll keep on with it, and see if it ferments OK, and if it tastes OK - I've choked down some pretty ordinary beers over the years, this one can only be so 'drinkable'... I may be panicking over nothing - as Charst says, it may just turn out to be a more bitter brew.
BBR

Only a couple of minutes before I realised.

The 'bag' I am talking about has Malt extract, Barley Extract, Caramel, Hop Extract, and dried brewing yeast. You steep some crushed grain, strain, then boil up the liquor, add a can of light malt extract to it, 250gm of wheat malt, add hops, boil 2 mins, steep another 15 mins, then strain into the fermenter.

Next stage is add the hops, which I am about to do!!

Thanks for your advice - I'll let it go for a couple of days and see what it does...

Cheers!

If you just boiled the extract, then it's perfectly fine. It's a pretty normal thing to do actually if you're doing a boil in your process. You can chuck all the extract into the boil as you turn the stove off and it ensures everything is sanitized before going into the fermenter. It also helps dissolve the sugars which can be a bit of a pain if you tip them into cold water in a fermenter.

Just to be clear, you "clarified" by saying the bag you tipped in was "Malt extract, Barley Extract, Caramel, Hop Extract, and dried brewing yeast." To double check.. you didn't put your yeast in boiling water did you?

FFS
He poured his pre-bittered Mangrove Jack's Blonde Lager KIT in the boil.
Fairly comprehensive OP...

MJ now packages their international series of kits in pouches.

Depending on the IBU's of the kit, how long it was boiled, bitterness will increase. Aroma can be lost but being a Lager kit it wouldn't (shouldn't) have much.

FFS
He poured his pre-bittered Mangrove Jack's Blonde Lager KIT in the boil.
Fairly comprehensive OP...

MJ now packages their international series of kits in pouches.

Depending on the IBU's of the kit, how long it was boiled, bitterness will increase. Aroma can be lost but being a Lager kit it wouldn't (shouldn't) have much.

Yep. Only boiled for a couple of minutes. Will be beer. Will be good.

Just a follow up - have managed to drink the entire batch - it turned out better than the 'real thing'...
Thanks to all for the help and humour...

To paraphrase Wyane - was Beer, Was Good!
BBR

Glad it all worked out fine, Any chance of some more information re the kit ? What hops/grain etc

My HBS sell the pouch kits and im keen to try them, But what was the additions ??

Any chance of a link ?

ian_2005 said:
Glad it all worked out fine, Any chance of some more information re the kit ? What hops/grain etc

My HBS sell the pouch kits and im keen to try them, But what was the additions ??

Any chance of a link ?
Hi Ian,
Can't recall the actual recipe - I put it together with the guy from a LHBS in Richmond (can I say who?), but it started with the Mangrove jack white pack of Blonde Lager, added a can of LME, boiled some crushed grain (that's the tricky bit - I can't recall what grain it was...), and fermented for about two weeks in a primary, transferred to a secondary fermenter for another two weeks, then bottled and stored in a cool-ish place for a couple of months...

MMM-mmm, pure malty goodness.

If I can get back to LHBS next week, I'll try and get the recipe again...
BR//BBR

Back