Help An Old Man Find His Way.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
My dad is the archetypal 'never ask for directions' bloke, much to the irritation of my mother. He seems to cling on to the notion that his time as a cabbie - back when XW Falcons were cabs - will stand him in good stead. Such was not the case when they spent 2+ hours driving around Melbourne last week searching for a conference venue.

It's been suggested for Christmas this year I skip the nice bottle of red if favor of an in car navigation system he can plug into his Landcruiser's ciggy lighter.
At 67, he doesn't really need a unit that lets him update his facebook status or regale people with tales of his latest bowel movement or idle thought on twitter.

Something simple to use, reliable, upgradeable if need be and with big buttons would be a bonus.

What would you suggest?

always had a tom tom and they are good imo. never used a navman though. the only bad thing about tom tom's is you have to enter the suburb first, then the street, then the number whereas a navman i think you can just punch in the address. tom tom's are easy to navihate though and you can get large displays. if you are an RACV memeber go to a RACV (or RACQ or whatever in your state) and they usually give you a 10% discount.

I got my dad a tomtom, think it was the xl250?.
Still manages to **** it up sometimes but he has generally got the hang of it. He is 74 and a grey nomad, he uses it a lot and wouldnt be without it now
cheers
Sean

I have a Navman Ezy30. It's basic, easy to use and it hasn't fucked me over yet. At about $114 it's a cheap way into a GPS. My ex wife has a tomtom Via 220 and it's been a pain in the arse, given me the run around lots of times. Maybe it's something to do with the owner.... <_<

Possibly not all that helpful given the context but Google Navigator (on Android phones) is badass and free.

I'm 36 and reasonably technologically savvy and I'm about to throw my new touch screen fuckit android at a small, ugly child.

Most ******* irritating bit of technology I've used since I was seven.

sorry for the slightly OT.

I'm 36 and reasonably technologically savvy and I'm about to throw my new touch screen fuckit android at a small, ugly child.

Most ******* irritating bit of technology I've used since I was seven.

sorry for the slightly OT.

Never mind the OT, it's valid input.

...what's an android phone?...

android is just an operating system for a phone, just like you have windows pc's and osx for mac's.

you have iphones and then adroid phones.

Back