Hello from Tinbeerwah (near Noosa) Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfriar

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been brewing all gain for several years now and had some great results. I've just moved to Tinbeerwah and the new place is not on mains water. I've got tank (collected off a zinc alum roof) and a bore. I've brew a couple of beers using the tank (with some brewing salt additions) and have also tried the bore, but the results are a bit disappointing. I think it's the water as most of the equipment is the same as I've always used.
For the next brew I'm thinking I'll use tank water and pass it through a water filter (.5 micron). Then I guess I'll have a blank canvas. I'll add some brewing salts to suit the mash type and a some yeast nutrient for the manganese and zinc etc. that will be missing from the filtered water. What do you think, will this work? Anyone brewing AG with tank water?

Welcome to the forum. Quite a few people around your area brew with tank water, I actually prefer to brew with it.
Don't know if you get much crap in your tank ie. gutters full of leaves, possums pissing in it etc.
But your idea of filtering it first cant hurt, sounds like a good idea to me. Your bore water is most likely to hard.

Although nowhere near you, Murrays brew their beer from bore water.

If you can get the chemistry right then you can brew great beer from it

I mashed some pilsner malt with rain water for an experiment. Didn't add any brewing salts and ended up with a mash PH of 5.2. I'm on the sunny coast as well. From memory the rain water Ph was about 4.5. If your brewing a darker beer with rainwater I would add some calcium carbonate to raise mash PH to 5.2 - 5.6

dougsbrew said:
Welcome to the forum. Quite a few people around your area brew with tank water, I actually prefer to brew with it.
Don't know if you get much crap in your tank ie. gutters full of leaves, possums pissing in it etc.
But your idea of filtering it first cant hurt, sounds like a good idea to me. Your bore water is most likely to hard.
Thanks Dougsbrew, I don't know what's in the bore water yet, guess I'll get it analysed sometime, but the PH 7.8. The tank is around PH 6.2 or 6.3. Are there any brew clubs around here?

welcome mate.
dont know about brew clubs, but id be interested to know too. I'm just in Noosa.

Maybe should ask Dave at LHBS in Noosa Junction. If anyone, he'd know.

Back