Hello from Mackay, Queensland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackayboi

Reaction score
Hi,

I have restarted my hobby of brewing. I have only brewed around 5 brews in my lifetime, so still very new to it all.
Joining a forum has been helpful for my other hobbies,
so hopefully I can meet some nice people here.

I will start with asking a few basic questions.
1. What is one stage and two stage fermentation methods?
2. Is there a limit for how much sugar you can put in the fermenter to increase the alcohol percentage?
3. If a brew gets moved and swished around during the first few days of fermentation, would it effect it in any way?
4. Would rain water be clean enough for use in a sterilized brew?

Thanks

Hi there mackayboi. From mackay myself. Heaps of great info on this forum.To answer some of your questions.
2.yes.once the alcohol reaches a certain level it kills the yeast.most yeasts wont go over about 10% and need a shitload of yeast to get to that level.some will go quite a bit higher.don't use cane sugar in your brews as a general rule.
3.depends how long it has been fermenting for.first day or two prob wont hurt as the yeast needs o2 to start out .after that definitely no swishing.if the beer oxodises at this stage it will taste off. If you need to move the brew do it gently.
4.don't know.but gonna give it a try this summer.
cheers.

Rain water is all I got and works well for me.Maybe the bird shit and stuff off the roof helps.
cheers.

wombil said:
Rain water is all I got and works well for me.Maybe the bird shit and stuff off the roof helps.
cheers.
Nothing but rain water here, why would you brew with anything else?

Latest posts

Back