Hefeweizen Horrors.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting reading guys, my last hefe fermented cool, around 16 and the clove is more pronounced than the banana or bubble gum, I can smell banana and bubble gum very slightly but the clove is dominant.

The brew before this one was in the middle of summer and I was away for a few days, fermentation temps went up to 24 and the banana (lolly like) and bubble gum were very overpowering and I could not detect any clove at all.

Cheers
Andrew

I had Ian Watsons (Sunshine coast brewery's) heffe at the weekend. This one was brewed with 3068 at 21.5c & had a nice balance between the banana, bubblegum, clove. His experience from talking to other commercial brewers, is that 24c will really bring out the banana in this yeast.
When I get round to doing another heffe with the dried yeast, i'm going to ferment at 24c.
Jye & I will be comparing heffes on friday, he went with an acid rest & fermented slightly cooler than me, so we'll post the findings.

Cheers ross

An acid rest and fermenting cool seems to be all the rage at the moment. And then theres that 30 degree rule also floating around.

Ive broken all the rules with my current roggenbier by not doing an acid rest, over pitching by chucking straight onto a yeast cake and fermenting cool at 17C :p Ill report on the end result next week in the WB-06 thread since thats what I used.

I had Ian Watsons (Sunshine coast brewery's) heffe at the weekend. This one was brewed with 3068 at 21.5c & had a nice balance between the banana, bubblegum, clove. His experience from talking to other commercial brewers, is that 24c will really bring out the banana in this yeast.
When I get round to doing another heffe with the dried yeast, i'm going to ferment at 24c.
Jye & I will be comparing heffes on friday, he went with an acid rest & fermented slightly cooler than me, so we'll post the findings.

Cheers ross

Just tasted my hefe made with WLP 300, nice banana & bubble gun I fermeted at 21C. Will be interested to check the differences on Friday night.

IIRC, Warner states that you should ferment cooler to get the phenolics happening.

The Germans see the esters as a flaw and try to minimise them. I assume that why they ferment cool.

** Also, fermenting warmer will get you more fusels and the chance of acetic bacteria contamination.

I used to ferment W3056 at up to 28C and got great banana flavour. prob too much for the style, and I can't recall the fusels with that (mixed) yeast, but I think there were not many.

I'll sample Trent's beer tonight if I get the opportunity.

Beerz
Seth :p

I just did a WLP300 Weizen @ 26 degrees. Awesome banana flavour - only downside is that it looks as thick is milk from all the yeast crud in my keg.

Holy necro thread.

I rubbished WB-06 dry yeast because I got a fairly uninteresting tart beer with zero banana esters. Then I remade it with the Weihenstephan strain (3068) and fermented warm at 22-23°C, and got no banana esters (though my partner said she could smell them).

Then I bought a Weihenstephaner off the shelf at Dan Murphy's, and it tasted the same as what I brewed, with again – no banana.

Maybe after smoking the crackpipe that is IPA/IIPA and rich stouts for years, I don't like hefeweizen anymore. :/ Or maybe my bought Weihenstephaner was stale and I overpitched my yeast and didn't stress it enough.

Holy necro thread.

I rubbished WB-06 dry yeast because I got a fairly uninteresting tart beer with zero banana esters. Then I remade it with the Weihenstephan strain (3068) and fermented warm at 22-23°C, and got no banana esters (though my partner said she could smell them).

Then I bought a Weihenstephaner off the shelf at Dan Murphy's, and it tasted the same as what I brewed, with again – no banana.

Maybe after smoking the crackpipe that is IPA/IIPA and rich stouts for years, I don't like hefeweizen anymore. :/ Or maybe my bought Weihenstephaner was stale and I overpitched my yeast and didn't stress it enough.
I've got a heap of Leffe Blonde and its a got a very clean, slightly muted yeast profile. Not what I would consider typical of it when fresh. I think the long travel and storage time, couple with probably a fair time sitting on the shelf in Dans doesn't do well for it.

Latest posts

Back