Hefe Yeast Re-propogation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshs41

Reaction score
Anyone been able to re-propogate the yeast ot of a German Heffe bottle eg Franziskanner ??
I think they bottle condition with a diff yeast to the primary yeast,
I d love to get a good heffe yeast for a wheat brew, u know the real Munic jazz...

Wyeast 3068, 3638 or the White Labs equivalent should help you get some of that Munich jazz.

Anyone been able to re-propogate the yeast ot of a German Heffe bottle eg Franziskanner ??
I think they bottle condition with a diff yeast to the primary yeast,
I d love to get a good heffe yeast for a wheat brew, u know the real Munic jazz...
To my knowledge nearly all of them use a lager yeast in the bottle,for longer shelf life,i think.Schneider uses the original yeast and i've cultured it several times,no problem.It's different from the typical hefe(3068,etc) Very 'plummy' aromas with hints of green apple.I personally love the taste.Get a bottle and give it a go :beer:

I have found even reculturing or using older wheat beer yeast samples tend to still ferment out, but do not give the banana/clove characteristics.

Jamil states a similar belief in one of his podcasts on wheats beers too iirc.

It should still ferment, just be aware it might not throw the estery profile you may be hoping for.

Latest posts

Back