Head retention lacks a little

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will prefix this by saying this is purely subjective and I have absolutely no scientific basis but I find a smaller crush helps with my head retention for some reason

Sean it's all about thinking outside the box.

S.E said:
What exactly do you mean by that, are you hinting not prudish and don’t mind visiting unscrupulous ladies?

fraser_john said:
+1 for Carapils or wheat, try 100g to start.

Also if your carbonation is right, could be your glassware either not clean enough or too polished for CO2 nucleation, I have some nice engraved mugs I had made up, but the damn glass is too smooth and it makes the beer look like shiite! I bought Headmaster schooner glasses at a warehouse here in Geelong for $1.50, talk about great lasting head and a constant stream of fine bubbles from the etched bottom of the glass!!!
Never having seen the bottom of a headmaster glass, does it appear as if it has been sand blasted?

superstock said:
Never having seen the bottom of a headmaster glass, does it appear as if it has been sand blasted?
Yes

So you will have better head retention than a normal glass however your beer is going flat the longer you sit there and watch the head.

danestead said:
Yes

So you will have better head retention than a normal glass however your beer is going flat the longer you sit there and watch the head.
Hmmm, I wonder if a quick squirt with my w/shop sand blaster would have the same effect?

Here's the beer in question. It's a fantastic drop & nicely carbed but the head does subside quite a bit quicker than what I'm used to.
I really don't want to add too many changes to it as it's great the way it is so I might look at some HeadMaster glasses to add to my collection.

20150124_185124.jpg

20150124_185238.jpg 20150124_185303.jpg

20150124_185325.jpg 20150124_185355.jpg

Screwtop said:
Up your GPR time to 20 min should do it Brian

Cheers,

Screwy
Thanks Mike.
I was looking to do just that. I'll do a 20min GP rest for this one next time.
It's a low bittered beer too at only 18 IBU & I don't think that's helping the cause.
Cheers mate.

Back