Have I Killed My Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skramp_84

Reaction score
Hi, I stated a brew on Wednesday night, Tooheys draught k+k. I got it down to 22 degrees and then yeasterday ,in the heat, i forgot to turn the fan on to keep it cool using the wet towell method. It got up to 25 degress. Last night I got it back to 22 degrees and I plan on keepnig there for the rest of the time. Have I killed it or will it be ok? I realsie this is an ordinary beer and I only brewed it cause i had the kit but I would still like to be ale to enjoy the end result.

Hi, I stated a brew on Wednesday night, Tooheys draught k+k. I got it down to 22 degrees and then yeasterday ,in the heat, i forgot to turn the fan on to keep it cool using the wet towell method. It got up to 25 degress. Last night I got it back to 22 degrees and I plan on keepnig there for the rest of the time. Have I killed it or will it be ok? I realsie this is an ordinary beer and I only brewed it cause i had the kit but I would still like to be ale to enjoy the end result.

Plenty of people will tell you it will be fusel laden etc but in my book you definitely won't have killed it.

It will ferment out and be beer. Fruiter than it could and should be and not ideal, but drinkable.

Plenty of homebrewers have brewed at these temps and enjoyed the results...

Definitely try and get it a few degrees lower to start next time though. Keeping it down is usually kind of the easy part...

I agree with bconnery.

You MAY have shocked the yeast with the temp rise, but if you leave the brew on the cake at least till 17/3 possibly a little longer at the lowest possible temp it should turn out.

Not a bad beer, but really needs hop help. Way too sweet for me I'm afraid.

Up here in the heat, the most consistent temp I can get is 26 but my experiments have been turning out ok - with little fruit. Mind you I do add hops which may mask that flavour.

Can't wait for the cooler temps to brew some serious stuff......
Just about to set a Blackrock Stout - full can + 100gms Corn Syrup to 12 litres, should turn out ok........

Kick back, relax and enjoy.

Hi,
until recently I've put down my last 4 brews at high temps. It has worked out ok ut it has needed a little longer in the bottle. As an example I did a Munton's Amber ale. Didn't add anything special and pitched the Yeast at 26 Deg. It sat there for the 10 days it was in the fermentor. Not it has been in the bottle for around 8 weeks and is finally tasting quite good.

However if you can keep you brew at a lower temperature do it.

So to cut to the chase, I wouldn't worry. Your beer will be fine you'll just need to give it some time!!

Second that - temp control is good, but for those of us who have little more control over the temperature other than the 7 day forecast - results are still good.

Few more weeks and winter will be here and then things get easier again

i made my last beer (Coopers Zephyr) at 18 - 23 degrees with wet terry towelling nappies & salted ice blocks & using a digital probe inserted inside the fermenter (1st time). my other 3 were around 25 degrees & they were green at 2 weeks but definitely improved at 4 weeks & then they were gone :lol: (my friend helped me drink them). the 3rd one was racked (Coopers Real Ale) & bottled on the 10/2/07 & wasn't as nice as the Brewiser Pacific Draught. i will try another ale tonight after i make another Zephyr up.

Latest posts

Back