Has Anyone Here Had Their Beer Sold Commericaly?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi WSC,
As far as getting your beer brewed by a contractor, the profit margins im reading and hearing around the place are small enough when your wholey running your own outfit, do you feel your better off or worse off doing it your way, contracting it out? How much time would you spend marketing /selling your beer, would it be equivalent to the amount of time you'd spend to brew? Do you think if you had a partner you'd go back to brewing yourself.

Cheers,
Shaun...

In short I would not be doing anyhting if I didn't contract. I can't afford/not prepared to get a loan for a brewery. I don't think the margins are that different as if you have a brewery you need to pay for the finance and if you contract you need to pay more for the beer.

I spend a 1 to 2 hours a night marketing and selling via email/social media and then a half a day delivering beer each week. If I'm chasing new accounts I need to take some time to do tasting.

If you are brewing you need to spend a day in the brewery on top of this.

I would need to ramp up sales significantly before I would do the brewing and the sales/delivery as I would really need to give up my day job.

Hi Scotty,
Thanks for the informative reply buddy.
I Have a farm and I didnt realise you could get away with the relaxed laws with breweries like the wineries and vineyards do, this is a damn good thing, I've also done half of the Enology/Wine Science degree (Had to stop due to me currently working very long shifts in the jungles of PNG). My plan is to save like all hell while i'm here which I've done for the past near on 2 years, move back down to my farm and continue my brewing/distilling/wine making. My love definitely is with beer so i'll probably head this way, but i'd rather keep it local and just pay my time and cover my costs if that can be achieved. If I was in a city I wouldnt even bother competing with others. If all else fails there is always plenty of work for Diesel Mechanics :p

Again, thanks alot or your reply buddy.

p.s. Sorry for the HiJack Mattric :D

Cheers,
Shaun...

No prob's, the critical thing is to drop your Council a note NOW. One council in a wine making region had wine makers successfully petition for a new bi-law prohibiting new brewery developments in the Shire. Another brewer had an application denied on the grounds that the fermentation yeasts from beer would spoil the wine makers surrounding. Pity they did not check to see how dirty wine makers are in comparison to brewers.

Anyways, 2 years will fly by when it comes to the world of bureaucracy, so send an email to thier Dev App folks NOW, if you need any support just PM me ...

Scotty

Latest posts

Back