Hargreaves Hill Esb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
Hargreaves Hill ESB

I just can't get that beer out of my mind :( . Fruity almost slightly orange in flavour. (well to me anyway) The colour would be somwhere between orange and yellow, most likely leaning more to orange. For anyone who has tried it you will know what I mean. What I am looking for is some info on what the grain and hop profile could be. I have searched google to no avail. C'mon brewers, some one must no. Someone also suggested that there may be galaxy hops in it somewhere.

BYB

Hargreaves Hill ESB

I just can't get that beer out of my mind :( . Fruity almost slightly orange in flavour. (well to me anyway) The colour would be somwhere between orange and yellow, most likely leaning more to orange. For anyone who has tried it you will know what I mean. What I am looking for is some info on what the grain and hop profile could be. I have searched google to no avail. C'mon brewers, some one must no. Someone also suggested that there may be galaxy hops in it somewhere.

BYB

You really liked that beer didn't you?:)
I wouldn't know exactly what the grain and hop profile would be but I'd take a stab at Golden Promise as a base malt & play around with some Caraamber & Carared to acheive the colour & more distinct caramel/crystal flavours.
It definately leans more towards an APA or AIPA in the hop profile. Quite a clean bitterness. Magnum, Warrior or Horizon would be my choice. I'd be quite suprised if Galaxy wasn't in there towards the end of the boil as A LOT of micros are using it now given the "hop shortage" in the US.

It may not be exactly the same but I think it'd be a pretty good APA/IPA anyway.

Of course you could also e-mail Simon/Hargreaves Hill, tell him you were at ANHC and really enjoyed his talk and found it quite interesting & mention you had the ESB at The Local and blatently ask him:)

You really liked that beer didn't you?:)
I wouldn't know exactly what the grain and hop profile would be but I'd take a stab at Golden Promise as a base malt & play around with some Caraamber & Carared to acheive the colour & more distinct caramel/crystal flavours.
It definately leans more towards an APA or AIPA in the hop profile. Quite a clean bitterness. Magnum, Warrior or Horizon would be my choice. I'd be quite suprised if Galaxy wasn't in there towards the end of the boil as A LOT of micros are using it now given the "hop shortage" in the US.

It may not be exactly the same but I think it'd be a pretty good APA/IPA anyway.

Of course you could also e-mail Simon/Hargreaves Hill, tell him you were at ANHC and really enjoyed his talk and found it quite interesting & mention you had the ESB at The Local and blatently ask him:)

Golden Promise. While on that subject I spoke with Peter Meddings from Bintani whilst at the ANHC and the impression I got is that Golden Promise may be available in the not to distant future. The price may scare me a bit though. Still playing with grain ATM and I am not to daring when it comes to mucking around myself. Most likely will have to hunt through other forums for some closer hints.

I do like the idea of blatently asking :rolleyes:

BYB

...Quite a clean bitterness. Magnum, Warrior or Horizon would be my choice...
A local hop would be more appropriate as high alpha imported hops are almost impossible to get in commercial quantities, Millenium at 14.4% AA is clean and neutral and would be a good choice.

Cheers, Andrew.

I'm having a little trouble forgetting that Hargreaves ESB too....:( everything else has seemed pale in comparison since returning home. To tell the truth when you talked me into getting one at the taphouse I thought they must have mis-poured and given me something else....not what I was expecting.
As I mentioned at the time I was getting Passionfruit from it, but that's not all there was too it, there was a sweet citrus sort of thng going on, not the tangy citrus, more of the sweet taste of a vitamin C tablet 'haliborange' (if anyone remembers those that is). Great drop, I'd be keen to find out more about the recipe...wonder if the brewer is an open / sharing type...

You've got the cajones for it BYB........ you ask him. :D

kind myself in a pub with this on tap, there is no guess work needed this beer absolutely reeks galaxy man I"m not looking toward to this years iron brewer comp

kind myself in a pub with this on tap, there is no guess work needed this beer absolutely reeks galaxy man I"m not looking toward to this years iron brewer comp

I would be surprised if it was galaxy, as i heard it was in quite short supply in commercial quanitites at the moment. Would love to find out as i am a true fan of this beer, perhaps it is millenium?

Hey Mate,

i'd had a fair few beers that day but to my tastes i thought it was galaxy, i've brewed quite a bit with it myself and find it very over the top if not used sparingly.
it has that real harsh resiny aftertaste and of course that bold grapefruit aroma/flavour . Saying that i've never brewed with millenium but have a bag at the back of the fridge, so might do a simple pale ale with it and compare.

perhaps since they aren't brewing there anymore the recipe could have come out slightly different because it was brewed on different equipment?

Rob.

Batches of Hargreaves ESB brewed at Red Hill are hitting taps at the moment. Stuff I've seen at the bar says it's brewed with Nelson Sauvin and from what I've tasted the current batch is incredibly passionfruity (and very delicious). If you want an orange flavour I'd be inclined to say don't bother with trying to be true to whatever you think the recipe is; try shooting for some simcoe or maybe challenger additions instead, they're hops that can give nice orange/marmalade/mandarin flavours.

Batches of Hargreaves ESB brewed at Red Hill are hitting taps at the moment. Stuff I've seen at the bar says it's brewed with Nelson Sauvin and from what I've tasted the current batch is incredibly passionfruity (and very delicious).

Will go out on a limb here and say, I don't think it is NS, unless of course with the shortage of Galaxy they have temporarily changed hops. I have brewed a couple NS ales. One with all NS and the other a combination of Amarillo & NS.
Currently have fermenting a substantial amount of all Galaxy Ale. (Yes I managed to track some down) Initial taste from the fermenter reminds me of the holy grail I am searching for. The one fault I have picked is that I may have to much bittering. Something that I need to be more cautious of when using Galaxy again. 15% AA is not for the faint hearted, especially for this novice brewer. Will find out more in about two weeks or so once it is in the keg and gassed up.

BYB

Will go out on a limb here and say, I don't think it is NS, unless of course with the shortage of Galaxy they have temporarily changed hops. I have brewed a couple NS ales. One with all NS and the other a combination of Amarillo & NS.

All I was sayin' is the tasting notes on the bar said it was Nelson Sauvin. The beer itself didn't taste like your typical knappstein sauvin hop flavour.

Love looking back and flicking through these old threads.. Ahh the memories..

Just saying.....

BYB

Latest posts

Back