Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There appears to be a yearly rhizomes swap on CraftBrewer.org
There was a mention that it will be coming up in the next couple of months.
Check out the links section for CraftBrewer.

Beers,
Doc

My brother and I found some seeds in a imported vacuum bag of whole target hop cones.

we tried planting them, and supriseingly had several of them germinate, and grow quite succesfully.

you could always try the same thing, rather than try and souce rizomes

Can you buy the seeds anywhere? I was told your not allowed to get seeds from other countrys? true?

also what hops would grow well in the melbourne climate, I would love to grow some in the back yard!!!

I've got a Pride of Ringwood plant in my backyard in Melbourne - I think Melbourne weather's pretty OK for hop growing in general.

well i reckon adelaides summer be to hot for me to grow my own hops

You may be right jaz but I've been growing veges much longer than brewing beer and I can't resist and will be looking for some hops seeds/rhizomes soon. I know a few seed banks that might have something.

Has anyone in Perth/Adelaide or further north grown hops??? I think our Perth summers might be too hot too, but there is always a cooler spot in the garden that might work and there may be some strains more tolerant of heat than others.

It's my new mission :ph34r: ...

I think a few WCB people have managed to grow POR ok. Not sure on that though

They're pretty hardy plants and I think will grow OK anywhere with distinct seasons - from what I've heard they don't do well in Cairns because they don't get the signal to start flowering as the season changes. They grow best in middle Europe, southern England, Victoria, Tasmania and parts of the USA so that should give you an idea of the climate they like. If I were you I'd certainly try growing them - the only thing they'll need is *lots* of water during peak growing season, more than tomatoes for big plants.

Yeah I read that they really suck it up, impossible to water too much so long as you have well-drained soil.

They are related to the mulberry and the mull berry both of which do well in Perth (so I hear) so worth a go! ;)

Hops used to be grown commercially down south (WA) around the Manjimup / Pemberton area. I can remeber being amazed at how much they grew from 1 week to the next. Don't recall when they closed down but it must have been in the 70's early 80's.

Hi kbekus,

Would it be possible to obtain some of your hop seeds or rhizomes (what are rhizomes?) as I too am intersted in growing my own hops? I am in Melbourne.

Thanks, let me know

arthur

If we can work out how to harvest some of the rhizomes (the roots) of my plant then you are all welcome to them. I've uploaded two sheets of info on how to grow and harvest hops, check in the gallery. Also, here's a link with lots of info. http://pw1.netcom.com/~dluzanp/backyard.htm

Great link kbekus and a very kind offer. Pity there aren't more Aussie links on this.

I am going to speak to WA Agriculture Dept about importing rhizomes. I think you're not allowed to but they might have info on where to source them.

Finally (almost) finished pruning and hacking in the back yard, and I'm trying to plan building a couple of little fence rows to grow a couple of varieties of hops on.

There are 2 grape vines against the driveway side fence, which are now pruned back, and I have some long treated pine poles, that I will build a trellis with. This should make a nice little vine shaded beer-garden.

From there, I will be able to see out the driveway, and look out at the Hills hoist, and watch the two rows of hops growing. Red, pink and white geraniums can grow up the opposite fence behind them. Tomatoes & butternut pumpkins can grow either side.

From the varieties of rhizomes available at Grumpy's and Goliath, I'll perhaps go for Goldings & Williamette. But every time I look, I decide on something different.

Anyone grown rhizomes in Melbourne?

yeah i have tried hallertau, goldings and POR. all grow but i am yet to get cones (had them in pots however, and they almost died with heat when i was away)

this year i will throw then in the ground and have an auto watering system to make sure they dont dry out. Mine face north and cop the sun bigtime in summer hence they may not like it in the super hot summer days (39-40 deg days)

Anyone interested in making a donation to the "Great Northern Hop Growing Experiment". Im trying to get people to send me cuttings of various varieties to see if they will grow in North Queensland. I know its outside the ideal latitude but may rig some artificial lights to extend the daylight hours of summer to try and trick them into flowering.

If anyone can help out PM me for postal details please.

I'm willing to split any crop that eventually grows or at worst if the plants grow but wont flower I can always send back some rizomes.

Cheers

Steve :beer:

Latest posts

Back