Growing Hops In Sth East Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hi Gang.
Has anyone got varieties of hops growing in the sth east Qld area?
Im keen to plant some but im worried they will kark it over the winter, i read they go dormant for a while and sprout again in late winter / early spring? Is that right? Are there some varieties that handle the cold better?
Keen to hear from any Warwick / Toowoomba / Stanthorpe / G'windi folks etc.

Not sure why you are worried about hops in winter in Qld. They are normally grown in the colder places like Vic/Tas. The main problem up here is the crop size due to not having long summer days.

Yep they die of to nothing over winter and reshoot next spring, like a grape vine does.

I'm growing Mt Hood and Nugget in Bundy. you will not get commercial yeilds, but will get heaps to suppliment for a homebrewer fresh hoping.

QldKev

Thanks for that.
Im based in warwick, and its not uncommon to see temps drop below 0 on some mornings, with huge frosts, hence my concern.
Will look into it further, cheers.

Hi Gang.
Has anyone got varieties of hops growing in the sth east Qld area?
Im keen to plant some but im worried they will kark it over the winter, i read they go dormant for a while and sprout again in late winter / early spring? Is that right? Are there some varieties that handle the cold better?
Keen to hear from any Warwick / Toowoomba / Stanthorpe / G'windi folks etc.

Where I live in Minnesota, USA, it gets down to -35 fahrenheit during the winter. Just mulch over your hops during the winter with leaves, grass and or straw/hay - anything that acts like an insulator. Hops are very hardy and easily survive our winters. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back