Grolsch Bottles For Keg Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbrewer

Reaction score
Just started kegging, I love my kegs, why did I not change sooner?

Thinking of how to take beer to parties etc without taking the keg, i.e just going round for dinner and only having a few.
Has anyone used Grolsch bottles with the rubber seal? I thought that I could fill up a few of these and seal them to take away and they should be alright. Not sure of the best way to fill them though without getting foam everywhere.

ANyone have any experience in these?

Yep, in fact I made this same thread a few months back.

Try and make the bottles cold and wet and sterile. Turn down your gas pressure as far as possible while still allowing the beer to move. Fill up the bottle trying not to make any spashes / bubbles. When you get right near the top there will be a very small amount of bubbles, try and close the lid on them so that most of them spill out and there's no air inside the bottle.

I've done this a few times before and beer has kept for a few weeks. Not sure the max time but that's the max I've kept them like that for.

Another option is putting some hose in a picnic tap so that the hose goes down to the bottom of the bottle to make it a bit easier to fill without splashing.

Yep, in fact I made this same thread a few months back.

Try and make the bottles cold and wet and sterile. Turn down your gas pressure as far as possible while still allowing the beer to move. Fill up the bottle trying not to make any spashes / bubbles. When you get right near the top there will be a very small amount of bubbles, try and close the lid on them so that most of them spill out and there's no air inside the bottle.

I've done this a few times before and beer has kept for a few weeks. Not sure the max time but that's the max I've kept them like that for.

Another option is putting some hose in a picnic tap so that the hose goes down to the bottom of the bottle to make it a bit easier to fill without splashing.
Thanks Mark, will give it a go

Just started kegging, I love my kegs, why did I not change sooner?

Thinking of how to take beer to parties etc without taking the keg, i.e just going round for dinner and only having a few.
Has anyone used Grolsch bottles with the rubber seal? I thought that I could fill up a few of these and seal them to take away and they should be alright. Not sure of the best way to fill them though without getting foam everywhere.

ANyone have any experience in these?

I have a stash of these bottles for this particular purpose. Flip tops are great for this application.

I have a stash of these bottles for this particular purpose. Flip tops are great for this application.

I have used normal tallies or stubbies (crown seal) and capped on the beer foam. I have had bottles last for 4-6 weeks without loss of too much carbonation.

Back