Gro-warm Heat Box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
I am using a Adloheat Gro-Warm capilary thermostat THF cooling unit on my chest freezer and it works a treat.

Now want to use the THI warming model to create a warming cabinet to ferment my ales in winter. Looking for advise on what form of heat genration to use to warm the box and therefore the wort to a constant 20c. Thinking of a heat mat generating about 27 watts or a naked bulb of between 20 and 60 watts.

Anyone using a similar method who can give me some advice.

Cheers, Hogan.

You're on the right track with a bulb. Depending on the rate of heat leakage (i.e. how cold is your winter ?) you may need to consider something in the range of 75W to get decent heat input. After all, the thermostat will shut you down the moment that the air temperature exceeds the required fermenter temperature, so there's no danger of overkill.

A disadvantage with a bulb is the light generated and the potential for skunking (it's actually light in the green wavelengths that skunks beer). You either need an opaque fermenter (or wrap it in alfoil) or a blind to attenuate the light.

How's this for an idea though - have you got an old single bed electric blanket? The outputs are usually 75W - 100W and spread over a large area. Just sticky tape it to the walls (not the floor) of the box and hey presto! Cosy yeast.

Chris

I did the same sort of thing using a heat pad in a striped out fridge - the insulation was good enough to keep it warm through a Dunedin winter.
I used a cheapie room thermostat - was about $30 from memory

Hogan old fella, you can't go wrong with a heat mat. I've had mine for 12-13 years and it still does the job. What's just as important as the cooling/heating source is the insulated cabinet/fridge that you put everything into. I have a tendency to bottom ferment in winter/spring and top ferment in summer/autumn. For me this means that the fridge doesn't work too hard in summer(16-20 degrees) and the heater(9-14 degrees) sometimes doesn't even get used in winter. :D

chrisfromperth said:
A disadvantage with a bulb is the light generated and the potential for skunking (it's actually light in the green wavelengths that skunks beer). You either need an opaque fermenter (or wrap it in alfoil) or a blind to attenuate the light.

[post="122304"][/post]​

This is an interesting comment to me. I have been using a light bulb for heating for some time now, and have disregarded the skunk factor as I was led to believe that it was UV that was the cause. As an incandescent bulb doesnt emit UV, I beleived it was safe for this purpose.
I'm more than happy to be told I'm wrong.

VL.

no your are right it is not the green wave lenth it is the blue wave length that skunks beer hence there are special fluros that are supposed to go into beer fridges but pubs dont alway do that and use a standard fluro or a day light .

ultra warms should be used i belive 860 is the number here off the top of my head.

my uncle used a 40 watt pearl globe in his set up with a plastic opaque shade from kmart as a diffuser. with a thermoking dial temp control unit in winter in his fridge.he cut out a port hole in the door and double glased it so he could keep and eye on the fermentation with out opening and closing the door upsetting the balance and it worked a treat.and in summer reversed the situation .

he was no rocket scientised but he made great stout and nice lager.

delboy :beer:

I have used..
Baby electric blankets..
Modified large and small round cardboard containers.with removable lids(chlorine..silver lined. removalists use the large ones..) with a heat pad
underneath....also with globes..
"Easy Peasy'...as some pommy chef often remarks ...
cheers
PJ :rolleyes:

vlbaby said:
I have been using a light bulb for heating for some time now, and have disregarded the skunk factor as I was led to believe that it was UV that was the cause.
[post="122313"][/post]​

Have to agree with the VL'ster on that one. :)

I've often tossed my glass carboys in a warming cabinet with a plain old 60w lightbulb and never noticed the merest of mercapitans. :p

UV who you be? :ph34r:

Warren -

Thanks all for your responses and suggestions. As I already have a heat mat I might go that way and see how the results fare. Then can move onto the bulb if not happy with the results.

Cheers, Hogan.

Latest posts

Back