grain shelf life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
Could anyone give any detail on grain shelf life? whether it be milled or unmilled. I ask because I've been offered some bulk grain on the cheap.

As far as I know uncrushed grain should store for a long, long time as long as you keep insects away from it. 12 months, at least, assuming it's kept dry and cool etc.

I had to chuck half a sack of Marris Otter that was full of some kind of miscellaneous bugs over the weekend. Just about shed a tear.

Ok thanks, good to know coz I've got 40kg of 2 row coming... I was planning on dividing into 5kg bags and vac sealing anyway.
I feel for you having to throw that marris otter out too, definitely tear worthy.

I keep my grain in plastic water containers from Bunnings, with the sealed lids. Roughly 2 litres of space for every kilo of grain, one 25kg sack fills up a whole 25 litre drum and then about 80% of a second one. Nothing can get in or out, totally sealed, and probably a lot more convenient than vacuum sealing it (you can just pour out how much you need).

Good idea, I'm not use to buying bulk grain but looking at the savings it seems stupid not to.

Yeah, vac packing your grain might make you go bonkers :)

I keep all mine in various types of sealed tubs, these are mainly splits from a bulk buy. I've also got some base malt in sacks in a plastic dustbin type thing. I've had some for over 18 months, still tastes good.

Yeah, those 25kg handy pails from Bunnings are good. Good for a year or two, unmilled. Milled, maybe a couple of months.

3-litre orange juice containers will hold 2.00kg of specialty grains but a less if storing flaked products.
Bulk grain is stored in various containers still in the (tightly sealed) sack.
If you're short on space (as I am) square is better than round.

Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

Cheers

I had to chuck half a sack of Marris Otter that was full of some kind of miscellaneous bugs over the weekend. Just about shed a tear.
I would've just mashed the little bastards. Mmm, bug beer! Probably end up being the best beer you've ever made.

Saying that, I'm going to have to go check on my grain now. You've got me paranoid. :)

Baby formula tins hold 1kg.

One of the great things about having babies and brewing is those tins.

I didnt even bother weighing my grains because the first rib from the top equalled 1kg.

My brew room was stacked with them tins and the plastic cap made it easy to label your grains.

Sometimes having kids is worth it just for the benefits to brewing..

Back