Grain Mill... Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey stu

here is some trivia for ya.

those rollers were made from an old 316 stainless shaft that runs in the rollers in a huge 20 foot high starch press.

one end had worn and it was sitting in the dirt out the back of the workshop.

I found it, it measured 2" dia so i cut it to lenghts in the laythe.

Still have enough pieces to make a couple more mills but dont have the time.

I want to build one with 6" dia rolers that are only 6" long and need no knearling.

one day..........

cheers

I want to build one with 6" dia rolers that are only 6" long and need no knearling.

A bit like this :beerbang:

Thats_not_a_mill__this_is_a_mill.jpg

Jye said:

A bit like this :beerbang:

View attachment 7218
[post="127567"][/post]​

Jye - I envy people like you! I am about as handy as a man with no arms, and if I ever tried to build something like ur mill, it would end in either me injuring myself or my freshly built pride and joy falling apart after one use! LOL - think I'll just stick to looking at the pictures in admiration - its a lot safer and lest costly :)

Yeah Jye

exactly like that.

Will have sprokets on the non drive side and a chain so both rollers are direct driven.

Ahhhhhh one day.

But im all inspired now...... i might go hunting. I know where there is some really big SS shaft lying around.

will need a crain to lift it though.

hehehe

cheers

Has anyone used plain ol' mild steel for the rollers ?
The photo of the mega-mill this page shows it being made of (what looks like) mild steel structural sections.
Just wondered if anyone had tried it and how they combat rust and that kind of thing ?

mika_lika said:
Has anyone used plain ol' mild steel for the rollers ?
The photo of the mega-mill this page shows it being made of (what looks like) mild steel structural sections.
Just wondered if anyone had tried it and how they combat rust and that kind of thing ?
[post="127813"][/post]​

Most mills you buy for home brewing have mild steel rollers.
They are just fine.
Crankenstein offer a stainless steel option on their range of mills and i think the Marga mill has s/steel rollers.
If stainless is not available or too expensive then I would just use mild steel.
Cheers

Marga rollers are just zinc plated.

Found out the hard way (pulled mine to bits).

Warren -

If I were to go MS I think I would just try and achieve a fairly fine finish and forget the plating. Zinc plaing is only ~12um thick, but I wouldn't feel comfartable about it wearing off and ending up in with the grain. Maybe I'm being too paranoid ?

Still, no-one's answered about the body, is the crankandstein an m/s body as well ?
Has anyone had their grain mill rust ?

Jye said:
Thanks Bizarre... but thats not mine :(

Link
[post="127580"][/post]​

I know - sorry I clicked on the wrong one I just realised, umm rather embarassing seeing I am meant to be a computer professional! Hehe :D

I though yours looked good with the wood and hopper etc - I got a mate thats pretty handy with tools - I wonder if I can con him into making a grain mill!

Get him to make 2 :D

Like this;
In Primary: Fly's Ankles (Well I couldnt call it Beez Neez could I?!)

Gave it a quick try today at the HBS with 50g and it destroyed the husk :( nothing was spared.

I think I will make it adjustable like Tony's and try again <_<

mika_lika said:
Get him to make 2 :D

Like this;
In Primary: Fly's Ankles (Well I couldnt call it Beez Neez could I?!)
[post="127842"][/post]​

Hehe - just my stupid sense of humour Mika. Its the kind of thing my Mrs rolls her eyes at - but it amuses me :)

Jye said:
[post="127854"][/post]​

Speaking of Tony's mill... did I miss the pics ? :blink:

Jye said:
Gave it a quick try today at the HBS with 50g and it destroyed the husk :( nothing was spared.

[post="127854"][/post]​
G'day Jye. I finished my mill last week (no hopper) I guess that means it's not quite finished :blink: Haven't tried to crush anything yet, but reading your post I'm glad I made mine adjustable :D

So post it razz, we want to see em all :D

My rollers are being made from mild steel but they will be nickel plated to prevent rust, hopefully I'll have them in my hands sometime next week :D

cheers

Browndog

Bizarre said:
Jye - I envy people like you! I am about as handy as a man with no arms, and if I ever tried to build something like ur mill, it would end in either me injuring myself or my freshly built pride and joy falling apart after one use! LOL - think I'll just stick to looking at the pictures in admiration - its a lot safer and lest costly :)
[post="127570"][/post]​

Try this for an easier idea

http://www.heydenrych.info/
Then go to the page titled motorised malt mill, it uses three washing machine motors 1 working and two dead ones. The rotors out of the dead motors become the two rollers and the end plates of the motors are the bearing supports, it's quite ingenious.

I have the 1 working motor and are just waiting for the next hard rubbish collection to find the two dead ones.

Hi Ya all

re my grain mill - I have a barley crusher and notice that after leaving in a dusty corner for a year it had a bit of rust on it - this was only where dust have landed on it and io weould imagine becasue of the humidity up here in brissy - if it had got more use( I was building my AG setup ) there is no way this would have happened -

lesson - keep the dust off you grain mill preferably by using regularly

lou

Latest posts

Back