Grain Mill @ Grumpys $160

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grain and has Phil Mill 1's for $179

Anyone like to comment on the differences in crush between that and the modified marga?

Cheers
Pedro

Who has a BIG roller mill in the brewery :)

Tim said:
pint of lager said:
So it was off to Bunnings for a cheap electric drill with adjustable speed. An XU-1, for under $20. Father's day is just around the corner, bet you can find a cheapie out there.
[post="73909"][/post]​

My Marga is powered by an XU-1 from bunnings which cost me all of $11. I originally had the $16 cordless, but found the fully charged battery only lasted for the first kilo of grain. So i went back to bunning for my new drill.
Also to the marga users out there, i bought a 10mm blade for drilling holes in wood, and this is the perfect size to power the marga...i was using a screwdriver blade, but it didnt last to long.
[post="73910"][/post]​

Yep my Marga is powered by an XU1 drill from Bunnings as well - cheap, cheerful and has done the job well for me so far. What happened to your cut off screwdriver blade Tim?? Mine has lasted well up to this point :)

Shawn (A reformed and now completely humourless poster :ph34r: <_< )

br3.JPG

Marga Mulino mills can be found at any good kitchenware shop for about $130.

I'm not sure what the Grumpys mods are but set on no.2 the Marga gives a good crush, add a beer carton hopper, a drainpipe chute and a drill and you have a relatively cheap efficient mill.

.....but I did drool a bit over the Crankandsteins at TWOC the other day.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
View attachment 3633

Marga Mulino mills can be found at any good kitchenware shop for about $130.

I'm not sure what the Grumpys mods are but set on no.2 the Marga gives a good crush, add a beer carton hopper, a drainpipe chute and a drill and you have a relatively cheap efficient mill.

.....but I did drool a bit over the Crankandsteins at TWOC the other day.
[post="73917"][/post]​

Good to see your beer carton hopper again Vlad. Mine is a shameless ripoff, but does the job.

Shawn.

This does look very much like a Margo Mulino triple roller grain mill...

I bought my Margo Mulino mill from grumpys for $80 plus postage to Canberra - if its the same mill, then the asking price - IMHO - is a shameful ripoff.

The drive shaft is little more than a flat head screwdriver shaft cut down and they hole punched a new mark on the adjustable dial and got a dremel out and widened the throat aperture for the pathetically small grain hopper. Go to a foodshop, buy one cheaper and do the mods at home. :angry:

//flame suit on//

TL

Gough said:
Yep my Marga is powered by an XU1 drill from Bunnings as well - cheap, cheerful and has done the job well for me so far. What happened to your cut off screwdriver blade Tim?? Mine has lasted well up to this point :)

[post="73914"][/post]​

My screwdriver blade was a stronger metal than the marga and started to wear the mill out. The fact that the screwdriver wasnt a perfect fit made it worse. But i find the 10mm holesaw bit works a treat.

As for modifying the mill, i did it myself. I just found out where the best crush was (as it turns out it is where the '2' setting is facing the floor) and took of the knob and drilled a hole in the plate and reassembled it. I took the base plate off and widened the mouth of the hopper and thats all there is to it really.

Im pretty happy with it, although it does make a few squeks and stuff when under drill power. Does anyone know how to pull it apart and regrease the bearings??

Tim said:
Gough said:

[post="73914"][/post]​

My screwdriver blade was a stronger metal than the marga and started to wear the mill out. The fact that the screwdriver wasnt a perfect fit made it worse. But i find the 10mm holesaw bit works a treat.

[post="73951"][/post]​

Thanks for that Tim. I'll keep an eye on my screwdriver 'bit' to make sure it isn't doing too much damage. It has had almost 12 months of action now, so I suppose it might be getting near time for a bit of a 'service' :)

Shawn.

Borret said:
What the brewing world is really lacking is a decent, purpose built, turbulence and cavitation free pump. Pure and simple. :eek:
[post="73840"][/post]​

Sorry to go OT here but if you are seriously looking at building pumps have you considered the type they use in medical applications. I think they call them peristaltic pumps. Their big advantage is that they are very low turbulance and cavitation free. Of course a real medical one costs a fortune but the design is surprisingly simple. A homebrew grade pump would need far lower specs than a heart lung machine grade and shouldn't pose a problem for someone who knows how to make stuff.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Borret said:
What the brewing world is really lacking is a decent, purpose built, turbulence and cavitation free pump. Pure and simple. :eek:
[post="73840"][/post]​

Sorry to go OT here but if you are seriously looking at building pumps have you considered the type they use in medical applications. I think they call them peristaltic pumps. Their big advantage is that they are very low turbulance and cavitation free. Of course a real medical one costs a fortune but the design is surprisingly simple. A homebrew grade pump would need far lower specs than a heart lung machine grade and shouldn't pose a problem for someone who knows how to make stuff.

Cheers
Dave
[post="73957"][/post]​

That's the one. ;)
Design is already in progress :D

As for divulging any more- it is not in the interest of this thread.

Borret

I think the story with the Marga Mill price increases was that the importation price went up, so everyone, everywhere increased their prices (?) I managed to get one at the cheaper price after they went up simply because I found one at a store where they had stock.

Boots said:
I think the story with the Marga Mill price increases was that the importation price went up, so everyone, everywhere increased their prices (?) I managed to get one at the cheaper price after they went up simply because I found one at a store where they had stock.
[post="73961"][/post]​

For everyone's sake, I really hope that you're spot on with that assessment Boots - I just can't help but feel a bit cynical over a price increase for the same mill that has been around for quite a long time and is suddenly in demand. :ph34r:

I must admit that I've had a few people enquire about the Margo - which btw is a bloody ripper triple roller mill that I'm very happy to own - but we've never managed to find another one for $80. When it was $80, buying one of these was a no-brainer compared to the Crankenstein, Barley Crusher or Valley Mill.

Now, I'm not so sure...
Cheers,
TL

Borret said:
Sorry to go OT here but if you are seriously looking at building pumps have you considered the type they use in medical applications. I think they call them peristaltic pumps. Their big advantage is that they are very low turbulance and cavitation free.

That's the one. ;)
Design is already in progress :D

Watch ebay in the US the pumps and tubing come up pretty frequently

Im pretty happy with it, although it does make a few squeks and stuff when under drill power. Does anyone know how to pull it apart and regrease the bearings??

If using a screwdriver blade then you don't actually want to use the blade itself but cut the handle off and get to the piece of screwdriver which had the handle moulded around it. This has two flat sections stamped on it almost the same as the attachement of the normal marga crank handle. A $1 big philips screwdriver from the $2 shop does the trick nicely

As for maintenance, I have just pulled mine apart to clean it right out, I will put some pics up over the weekend on how to do it. I also found the two side plates trap a hell of a lot of crap in them which gets a bit nasty looking especially if the mill is stored in a damp place (my shed)

Cheers

Ausdb

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
[post="73917"][/post]​

Vlad I'll see your beer carton hopper and raise you a plastic one, with a brewmunchkin to boot!
head_brewer.jpg
I tried mine with a side exit but found it didn't flow out so well. If you unscrew the pressed metal base you can then screw it down to a board and cut a hole through it, I filled the sides in with offcuts of plastic from the hopper.
I have drilled a heap of extra holes and find somewhere around the no.2 setting is good. I find the Kirin malt likes a different crush to most other malts. The drill is a two speed one and I run it at about 1/2 speed on the slow setting ~300rpm any faster and it sounds like the poor marga is going to explode and the crush is not so good either.

The power of the Marga requires some special safety features :lol:
Your not a true brewer until you have a Marga ;)

cheers
Andrew

ausdb said:
Vlad the Pale Aler said:
[post="73917"][/post]​

Vlad I'll see your beer carton hopper and raise you a plastic one, with a brewmunchkin to boot!
View attachment 3641
I tried mine with a side exit but found it didn't flow out so well. If you unscrew the pressed metal base you can then screw it down to a board and cut a hole through it, I filled the sides in with offcuts of plastic from the hopper.
I have drilled a heap of extra holes and find somewhere around the no.2 setting is good. I find the Kirin malt likes a different crush to most other malts. The drill is a two speed one and I run it at about 1/2 speed on the slow setting ~300rpm any faster and it sounds like the poor marga is going to explode and the crush is not so good either.
[post="74009"][/post]​

Your not a true brewer until you have a Marga ;) and a brew brewmunchkin!

Ausdb.

That hopper's a ripper. Hope your apprentice doesn't drink too much. :lol:

Warren -

I can fully understand the need for ear protection if you are turning the Marga at an unregulated drill speed.
I began AG with a Marga and found "slow" was much better for the crush, the mill and the ears.
Cheers

Looks like a trip to get a new (Cheap) drill from bunnings is on the cards then.

I thought the speed of my drill was too fast so something I can torque down a bit would be handy too and then you can grip the chuck with a gloved hand for extra control.

Latest posts

Back