Quantcast

Grain Mill @ Grumpys $160

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

johnno

It's YUMMY
Joined
15/7/03
Messages
2,800
Reaction score
6
I'm in the market for one at the moment.
I would definately need to see some piccys and get some more info on it first.
Otherwise it overseas for the purchase I go.

johnno
 

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Joined
12/3/04
Messages
4,149
Reaction score
306
Batz said:
http://www.grumpys.com.au/read.php3?id=56064

Wonder what type this is?
[post="73794"][/post]​
I'll bet that's the margo mulino mill modified Jeff, they were flogging those about a year ago for $80.00, then when they realised how poular they were upped the price to $160. I bought mine about 2 months after the price hike from somewhere else for $79.95.
Considering you can get a Barley crusher http://www.barleycrusher.com/index.php shipped to Aus for $160 now I wouldn't waste my money. The margo is a great mill for under $100 but not $160.00.

Cheers
Andrew
 

johnno

It's YUMMY
Joined
15/7/03
Messages
2,800
Reaction score
6
ooooohhh
Barley Crusher, Valley, Crankandstein, Schmidling...

decisions, decisions....what am I going to get?

johnno
 

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Joined
9/12/02
Messages
5,293
Reaction score
16
Being a member of TAB (Tight Arse Brewers - thanks, Linz), I've been looking closely at the Crankendstein. I think a two roller works out at about $130 shipped to .au. My mother is going to the US next month, so I was considering getting it delivered to her friends' place in the States and having her bring it back for me, but the extra weight in her luggage will probably come to more than sea freight.... decisions... I feel your pain johnno.
 

sintax69

Well-Known Member
Joined
15/12/03
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
postmortem as a fellow TAB i have the cheapest Crankrnstein and its great had no probs with it last brew was at 78% just mounted it on a board and put over a bucket and a small bucket as a funnel and throw a drill on to it, speed control is hand on chuck and pulse trigger takes all up 15 min from grabbing stuff from shed to cracked grain in bucket
 

Brizbrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/6/05
Messages
261
Reaction score
1
sintax69 said:
postmortem as a fellow TAB i have the cheapest Crankrnstein and its great had no probs with it last brew was at 78% just mounted it on a board and put over a bucket and a small bucket as a funnel and throw a drill on to it, speed control is hand on chuck and pulse trigger takes all up 15 min from grabbing stuff from shed to cracked grain in bucket
[post="73813"][/post]​
Sorry to take this slightly off track here but do you find the speed of the drill has a major effect on the crush you get with your mill?
I have the cheapest 2 roller from Crankandstein and have only used it once but can't help thinking my drill is spinning way too fast for the mill (It does not have adjustable speed) any thoughts?
 

Linz

Well-Known Member
Joined
11/12/02
Messages
2,609
Reaction score
5
PostModern said:
Being a member of TAB (Tight Arse Brewers - thanks, Linz), I've been looking closely at the Crankendstein. I think a two roller works out at about $130 shipped to .au. My mother is going to the US next month, so I was considering getting it delivered to her friends' place in the States and having her bring it back for me, but the extra weight in her luggage will probably come to more than sea freight.... decisions... I feel your pain johnno.
[post="73807"][/post]​

To steal Batz's thunder.....

"You aint a real TAB until you have a base model crankandstein"

A 3 roller mill just won't cut it..

and yes, I have the basic one too....
 

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Joined
15/2/05
Messages
838
Reaction score
0
Linz said:
PostModern said:
Being a member of TAB (Tight Arse Brewers - thanks, Linz), I've been looking closely at the Crankendstein. I think a two roller works out at about $130 shipped to .au. My mother is going to the US next month, so I was considering getting it delivered to her friends' place in the States and having her bring it back for me, but the extra weight in her luggage will probably come to more than sea freight.... decisions... I feel your pain johnno.
[post="73807"][/post]​

To steal Batz's thunder.....

"You aint a real TAB until you have a base model crankandstein"

A 3 roller mill just won't cut it..

and yes, I have the basic one too....
[post="73834"][/post]​
Sorry you aint a true TAB until you build your own...... :p
 

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Joined
12/5/03
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Show-off :rolleyes: :lol: Having seen the Borretmill in the flesh (or the stainless more like it...) it is more impressive than the pics people. A work of art...

I've got a marga I bought last year for $79 and modified myself, including a very impressive beer carton hopper. Also a TAB work of art IMHO :lol: Not quite in the same league as the Borretmill though...

SHawn.
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Think it is time for Mr. Borret to chain himself to the forge and produce mills for the thirsty mashes, sorry masses. The kebab press can wait. :lol: :beerbang:

This poor little brewer still gets the shop to crush it. Hopefully that won't be an issue when father christmas arrives. :unsure:

Warren -
 

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Joined
15/2/05
Messages
838
Reaction score
0
warrenlw63 said:
Think it is time for Mr. Borret to chain himself to the forge and produce mills for the thirsty mashes, sorry masses. The kebab press can wait.
This poor little brewer still gets the shop to crush it. Hopefully that won't be an issue when father christmas arrives.

Warren -
[post="73838"][/post]​
I think my efforts are better focussed elsewhere. :excl: What the brewing world is really lacking is a decent, purpose built, turbulence and cavitation free pump. Pure and simple. :eek:
I have no further comment for fear of never being classed as a real brewer..... but I don't care :p

Borret :blink:
 

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Joined
1/4/04
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
17
At least that means we don't get shot as much, right?

So how's the crush on the mill grumpy's sell? I wasn't thinking of getting one, I'm itching to save my pennies for a three roller crank, or chain borret down till I get one of his.
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Might as well stick this here while we're on the topic of mills.

Here's a link that popped up the other day on the Craftbrewers group on how to easily make a mill.

http://www.icon.co.za/~mheydenr/malt_mill.html

It uses three washing machine motors, two dead ones cut open for the rollers and one live one to power it. The thing is with this mill, the average bloke could build it with an angle grinder, bit of steel, a drill and a file with a few bolts. Looks very doable, especially for those of us that don't have easy access to a metal lathe and the expertise to use it.

If you can choose your motors wisely you can get two motors of the same housing size so that you can use the available mounting brackets on the motors themselves, coupled with this the "now" rollers are already mounted in bearing and also have pulleys.

Absolute genious- :huh: :blink: :D (genius).

Maybe this deserves another fresh topic.

Cheers, Justin
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Justin said:
If you can choose your motors wisely you can get two motors of the same housing size so that you can use the available mounting brackets on the motors themselves, coupled with this the "now" rollers are already mounted in bearing and also have pulleys.

Absolute genious- (genius).

Maybe this deserves another fresh topic.

Cheers, Justin
[post="73889"][/post]​

Well done Justin, another interesting post. :beerbang:

This bloke looks like he's into thinking outside the box a bit. You milking any of his ideas for his brewing stand? Mate talk about a myriad of pipes. :blink:

Kerbside rubbish collection is on as I speak. Might do a bit of hunting for old washing machines. That mill does look easy enough to build . :lol:

Warren -
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
There's some $$ in fittings there that's for sure. Damn those things add up quick. You grab a few fitting and a valve, put em all together in the shop and go "yep, that'll do for the outlet of the pump". Bang $50. :blink:

And think to yourself, damn I've got four more of these to build :blink:

Whoever said homebrewing is cheap was drunk at the time. Maybe that can be my new signature :p
 

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Joined
9/5/04
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
11
Back to the earlier question about speed of milling (you humour posters need to go to your own thread instead of hijacking) I like to keep my barley crusher going slower than flat out.

Am sure the bronze bearings would not like going flat out.

So it was off to Bunnings for a cheap electric drill with adjustable speed. An XU-1, for under $20. Father's day is just around the corner, bet you can find a cheapie out there.
 

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Joined
7/1/05
Messages
548
Reaction score
7
pint of lager said:
So it was off to Bunnings for a cheap electric drill with adjustable speed. An XU-1, for under $20. Father's day is just around the corner, bet you can find a cheapie out there.
[post="73909"][/post]​
My Marga is powered by an XU-1 from bunnings which cost me all of $11. I originally had the $16 cordless, but found the fully charged battery only lasted for the first kilo of grain. So i went back to bunning for my new drill.
Also to the marga users out there, i bought a 10mm blade for drilling holes in wood, and this is the perfect size to power the marga...i was using a screwdriver blade, but it didnt last to long.
 

ozbrewer

im ozzing flab
Joined
11/4/05
Messages
624
Reaction score
0
pint of lager said:
So it was off to Bunnings for a cheap electric drill with adjustable speed. An XU-1, for under $20. Father's day is just around the corner, bet you can find a cheapie out there.
[post="73909"][/post]​

yes dear, i do need the drill to fix your hair dryer






see how easy it is to get stuff for the brewery :beerbang:
 
Top