Gout & Filtering Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to the doc, get a prescription for allopurinol - problem solved.
You, like I, have a genetic disposition to metabolic arthritis, it's not our fault so why should we be denied the fruits of our labours?

I agree, I am fit and healthy, I cycle to work daily, I go to the gym 3 times a week, I only drink on weekends and I am not overweight and I eat healthily (no sweetbreads, lots of white meat, fish, etc) however I am prone to Gout attacks. After numerous visits to the Dr he concludes I just have high natural Uric acid (I am usually recording high 40's in the 0-49 normal range). I never wanted to have to take a medication ongoing but last year I finally gave in and I've been taking allopurinol daily since, I have not noticed any side effects and I have not had Gout since.

Go see your Dr and discuss with him.

I have heard that some foods such as rice can aggravate the condition, are there any facts behind that? Fortunately for me I don't suffer from gout. I have friends and family that do and looks to me to be rather uncomfortable. I could take alcohol or leave it but I don't think that I could say the same for beer :(

There is lots of incorrect information out there on the web about foods and gout, I've never actually heard rice before, meats high in purines (liver, sweetbreads, etc) and shellfish are often cited as the main culprits but you'll also find lots of others some with contradictions, tomatoes being one I've seen quoted as bad and good.

For me I don't think its food related, unfortunately alcohol does seem to bring it on but only if I binge drink which will sometimes happen on something like a weekend away with the lads.

Okay a few days ago I suffered another gout attack and so I went to the GP. He has put me on indometacin to treat the acute attack and colchicine and allopurinol. The latter two being gout medications one being a fast acting (colchicine) and the other (allopurinol) being a long term maintenance drug. He says that I will to be on allopurinol for the rest of my life.

I do not like taking drugs as I already am on three medication that I will take for the rest of my life.

The reason I finally asked the GP for medication was because, having cut out all purine food sources from my diet, yet I still suffered from weekly gout, so my dietary restriction where to no avail.

I will see now if the medication works. I planing to brew a beer again. But I still plan to filter.

Okay a few days ago I suffered another gout attack and so I went to the GP. He has put me on indometacin to treat the acute attack and colchicine and allopurinol. The latter two being gout medications one being a fast acting (colchicine) and the other (allopurinol) being a long term maintenance drug. He says that I will to be on allopurinol for the rest of my life.

I do not like taking drugs as I already am on three medication that I will take for the rest of my life.

The reason I finally asked the GP for medication was because, having cut out all purine food sources from my diet, yet I still suffered from weekly gout, so my dietary restriction where to no avail.

I will see now if the medication works. I planing to brew a beer again. But I still plan to filter.

Of those you mentioned I've used all 3, Indomethicin is a pain killer/anti inflam, I had to stop taking it as I have Asthma and it made me chesty so they put me on Prednisolone instead (this is a steroid which is also used to treat Asthma so works for both). Colchicine is a horrible drug but it can work if you catch the gout early enough, just dont take it for too long as it can really upset your insides. Unfortunately I think the allopurinol is probably the only way forward for you.

On one of my most serious bouts (lasted 4 weeks) I actually ended up having a cortisone injection directly into the toe joint, painful but I would have chopped my toe off to relieve the pain at that point.

All the best

Last edited:
allopurinol + lots and lots of water. Allopurinol as a blocker of uric acid production should have a strong positive effect, but nothing is certain in medicine and biology. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
And remember that serum uric acid levels often drop during acute gout attacks. so get your uric acid levels measured when you're not having a gout attack.

I'd speak to a general physician or a chemical pathologist.

Its coming up to two weeks. I have not had a major attack, however I have had low level pain in my right heel that is persistent, hopefully this will resolve.

I am fermenting a Dunkleweizen and another week I will filter and keg. Then we will see.

Yesterday I filtered a dunkleweizen and force carbonated the beer it has come out lovely with a clear reddish tone With great clarity you can clearly see my finger through the beer

I had two beers yeasterday and I will have the same today with no ill affect

I have increased the dosage of the Alloprinol to 200mg a day and this has resolved the last of my symptoms

Attachments

• 0DAEE613-FC4F-4616-8897-5CDAF419CB23.jpeg
    0DAEE613-FC4F-4616-8897-5CDAF419CB23.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Back