Got Bad Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h00ligan

Reaction score
This might sound a bit weird to some of you, but my brew is just over half way in primary fermentation and for the last 2 days I have been taking readings and drinking all the beer in the hydro tube.

Heres the werid bit.. for the last 2 days i've had some shocking gas (farts). About 1-2 hrs after drinking the samples Ill fart all night.. Maybe this beer is continuing to ferment is my guts.. My girlfriend is not impressed :)

During fermentation the yeast is very active; and your sample is drawn from the bottom, where lots of the partly flocculated yeast is. It could be possible that if you're drinking a full hydro sample youre actually consuming a lot of yeast, which for some reason I'm thinking this is the cause.

Solution: Drink water.

This might sound a bit weird to some of you, but my brew is just over half way in primary fermentation and for the last 2 days I have been taking readings and drinking all the beer in the hydro tube.

Heres the werid bit.. for the last 2 days i've had some shocking gas (farts). About 1-2 hrs after drinking the samples Ill fart all night.. Maybe this beer is continuing to ferment is my guts.. My girlfriend is not impressed :)

Aaaah, the wonder of yeasties. :)

Not only do they provide us with lovely lovely alcohol, they also work a treat on (in) the gut.

I get the same thing after a night of anything that has yeast sediment in it (eg: coopers )

Not tat that would make me stop drinking them. :)

don't have these kinds of problems with the yeast myself, however i've heard that some people even get the runs from drinking yeast in samples/sediment etc. can anyone shed some technical light on what about yeast may be causing gas/runs? you're not having a vindaloo or something while tasting the samples are you? :)

Are you using a Lager or ale yeast?

Ale yeast can't break down raffinose, a trisaccharide which is a main source of farts when the bacteria in your guts breaks it down. Lager yeast will give it go, perhaps thats why lagers often smell like a fart when fermenting.

Back