Gose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BYO's recipe did indeed state 1/3 cup for 19L.

Weizguy said:
<chopped>
Doc,

Would have suggested a sour mash (really? - he he) of about 150g :lol:

That's what I did with my latest Wit, although it fermented too warm and WLP401 (IIRC, Wit II) makes plenty of phenolics at this temp. May be OK when chilled right down, and served in a Hoegaarden glass, of course.

Best of luck, for sure.</chopped>

[post="90340"][/post]​
Hijack? hope not, just two stories in one. A reply/addendum to the above, and the reply to a later post from Doc. See below, after this reply.

re my Hoegaarden clone. It has turned out to be quite phenolic, but I'm enjoying it (chilled & in a Hoegaarden glass).The phenolics are strong, yet balanced with the coriander and the sourness and the tart wheatiness, riding on a bed of lingering sweetness that inevitably gives rise to a dry aftertaste due to the acidity. Quite a challenging, yet rewarding beer.
Perhaps U can come to luv ur beer too, in time. Maybe it just needs age to mellow it.

I hesitate to mention, but did U stick to 1/3 cup salt? This was the benchmark proclaimed by BYO mag. Could U have used a dud/ incorrect measuring cup?

Did U take the advice to test your limits with a 1 litre test solution of salt? They recommend adding 1/4 tsp at a time until U reach your limit.

No disrespect. Hopefully I'm assisting your troubleshooting of the problem, if (after aging) it turns out to be an undrinkable beer. Bad beers sometimes happen to good peple, and we need an occasional reminder of that fact.

I've had bad beer. So bad U can't drink it. Sometimes, so bad that the aroma of acetone is unpleasant, to point of scoured sinuses. It's all in the spirit of experimentation. You learn from each mistake. Sometimes, unfortunately, only after the mistake is repeated.

Doc said:
<chopped><he is a salty old dog.
Going out on a limb and hoping that it may be more palletable at a lower temp, or blended with something else. Looking like the second fermenter is going down the drain though.</chopped>
[post="99858"][/post]​
<chopped> the other 23 litres still sitting in the fermenter is looking like lawn food.</chopped>

Please don't pour it on the lawn. If there is enough salt, it will kill the lawn. Not a happy situation. Marital bliss might be in jeopardy.

As mentioned above, U should test your salt tolerance. Maybe Horst Dornbusch's tolerance is elevated by consuming mass quantities of salty (and smoky) Bavarian pork products.

BTW, did I ever mention that I could quite imagine a retirement in the Bavarian alps, with a large mug of fresh fruit juice in weizenbier with breakfast each day... Oh, and the view from the lodge balcony

Seth the proselytizer and zymocenosilicaphobic scientist :p

NRB said:
[post="100375"][/post]​

I may be wrong (and I can't check as my BYO's are packed up ready for the removalists), but I think there was a correction in either the following issue or the one after lowering the amount of salt that was originally published.

Cheers
Peter

Why not add the salt to the glass after pouring? Guess its too late for that now.
cheers
Darren

coolum brewer said:
NRB said:
[post="100375"][/post]​

I may be wrong (and I can't check as my BYO's are packed up ready for the removalists), but I think there was a correction in either the following issue or the one after lowering the amount of salt that was originally published.

Cheers
Peter
[post="100387"][/post]​

Peter, I just checked the 'Mail" section of the next 2 issues. No changes/corrections for the Gose that I could see, but there was a change to the Mountain Dew brew recipe.

I reckon they probably covered themselves with the salt tolerance test as I mentioned above. It seems that the mention in the BYO article, of exploring your limits re salt flavour, were well justified. Reminds me of times when the lid comes off the salt container when U want to season your food...U just can't eat it.

It seems that what we want is brackish, not salty.

Thanks to Doc and this thread for the lesson to be applied when I brew a Gose.

cheers
Seth :p

coolum brewer said:
NRB said:
[post="100375"][/post]​

Cheers
Peter
[post="100387"][/post]​

I'd put money on this being the answer - a third of a cup as an awful lot of salt & all reading I've done on gose, suggests far less...

Doc said:
<snip> the other 23 litres still sitting in the fermenter is looking like lawn food.

Couldn't you brew another batch without salt and blend the two? It could add a little more to the 'experiment'.

0.7 of a cup of sea salt in 40 litres is too much.
Maybe the sea salt I used is stronger than the salt used by BYO.
Now I like salt. I love salt. I enjoy eating salt. So when I say it is too salty, it is salty (think Agean Sea salty).
I'd definitely recommend doing a salt solution test up front to work out your tolerance to the salt you plan to use when brewing a Gose.
As for mine, I'll try blending it with other beers I have on tap at the moment and see what (if any) nice combinations I can come up with.
Definitely learn from my experience on this one.

Beers,
Doc

Weizguy said:
coolum brewer said:
NRB said:
[post="100375"][/post]​

Cheers
Peter
[post="100387"][/post]​

Peter, I just checked the 'Mail" section of the next 2 issues. No changes/corrections for the Gose that I could see, but there was a change to the Mountain Dew brew recipe.

I reckon they probably covered themselves with the salt tolerance test as I mentioned above. It seems that the mention in the BYO article, of exploring your limits re salt flavour, were well justified. Reminds me of times when the lid comes off the salt container when U want to season your food...U just can't eat it.

It seems that what we want is brackish, not salty.

Thanks to Doc and this thread for the lesson to be applied when I brew a Gose.

cheers
[post="100397"][/post]​

Seth, that does ring a bell now you mention it.

coolum brewer said:
Weizguy said:
coolum brewer said:

Cheers
Peter
[post="100387"][/post]​

[post="100397"][/post]​

[post="100470"][/post]​

Gonna contact BYO mag and ask for list of "corrections" for the year to appear in each December issue. *edit: - single word changed*

Doc said:

I was reading over Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, which has a section on Gose, and I remembered this thread. The recipe in there calls for half a TEASPOON of salt for 40 litres.

Berp.

Weizguy said:
coolum brewer said:
Weizguy said:
[post="100397"][/post]​

[post="100470"][/post]​

Gonna contact BYO mag and ask for list of "corrections" for the year to appear in each December issue. *edit: - single word changed*
[post="100487"][/post]​
Just re-read this and emailed the editor of BYO. Will advise of the result.
*edit - spelling

berapnopod said:
Doc said:

I was reading over Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, which has a section on Gose, and I remembered this thread. The recipe in there calls for half a TEASPOON of salt for 40 litres.

Berp.
[post="105283"][/post]​

Seems one extreme to another - In my experience half a teaspoon in 40L would have no effect on taste whatsoever...

Ross said:
Seems one extreme to another - In my experience half a teaspoon in 40L would have no effect on taste whatsoever...

Half a tespoon in 40 litres will give something like 64ppm of Na+ and just under 100ppm of Cl-
Not sure exactly what the detection threshold for either is but I am sure these are both well above it.
In typical brewing 100ppm of Na+ is an upper limit, same for Cl-, at least for light beers.

So I reckon 0.5tsp will give the beer a noticeable difference.

BTW, I also found a copied Zymurgy recipe for a gose here, which asks for 1tsp of salt added to a 19 litre batch. ie. double that of above.

Berp.

berapnopod said:
Ross said:

Half a tespoon in 40 litres will give something like 64ppm of Na+ and just under 100ppm of Cl-
Not sure exactly what the detection threshold for either is but I am sure these are both well above it.
In typical brewing 100ppm of Na+ is an upper limit, same for Cl-, at least for light beers.

So I reckon 0.5tsp will give the beer a noticeable difference.

BTW, I also found a copied Zymurgy recipe for a gose here, which asks for 1tsp of salt added to a 19 litre batch. ie. double that of above.

Berp.
[post="105436"][/post]​

I add a teaspoon of salt to nearly all my brews (23 to 26L batches), as I feel it brings out the flavour. I can detect 2 teaspoons as a salt taste, but not one. no-one's ever commented on my beer tasting salty...

cheers Ross

Been looking thru an old beer book. all the following call for one teaspoon of salt:
Country spcial ale, Malt ale, Special ale, Aussie ale, Lager beer. The following called for a quarter teaspoon of salt: Light ale, Dark lager, Golden beer, Pale bitter. All 20-23 litre. Hope this help.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Latest posts

Back