Gose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My God,

How could you trust that not to boil over? I wouldn't let it out of my sights.

timmy said:
My God,

How could you trust that not to boil over? I wouldn't let it out of my sights.
[post="91923"][/post]​

There was a very small boilover at the start of the boil.
After that the complete control of the HP reg and the NASA burner meant no problems.
I only got about an extra 2 litres over a normal batch size, but the difference between 47 and 49 litres is a 50 litre vessel is quite obvious :lol:
Ironically I overshot my gravity into the fermenter, and all the plug hops meant I still hit my volume. All good at the end of the brew.

Beers,
Doc

Brewin' on the edge Doc! :beerbang: :beerbang: Love it. :super:

Time to upgrade to a larger pot. ;)

Warren -

looks good, Doc :) :)

How long until she's drinkable?

I'm inspired to make one of these soon now.

Truly inspirational!!!

Seth out :p

I'll take the first sample when I rack it mid next week.
Then, the rate I'm going through beer ATM I think it will be in a keg after about three weeks in the fermenter :p
I post tasting notes.

Beers,
Doc

Went to rack the Gose tonight. Took a gravity reading and it is only down to 1.030.
Took a swig to get a taste and, OMG. Warm salty sea water with a hint of wheat beer.
Quite a bit of sweetness also due to the gravity.
I'll be leaving it in primary for another week hoping the gravity will come down and hopefully the saltyness will subside.
If the saltyness doesn't subside then a warning to other Gose brewers. A little rock salt goes a long way :p

Doc

Also remember Doc.

Excess salt is toxic to yeast. :ph34r: Could explain the slow attenuation. :unsure:

Warren -

Yeah, I was trying to put that out of my mind so I didn't worry about it.
Luckily I made another starter from some of the yeast left over after pitching, so I can reintroduce that in another week if it doesn't make much progress.

Doc

Doc,

.33 of a cup of salt - Wow... Anything more than 2 teaspoons & you can pick up the taste... does it really use that much? I use a teaspoon in most of my brews, as I feel it brings out the flavour of the brew...

cheers Ross

Try .7 of a cup of salt Ross.
The beer is supposed to have salt tones, but mine ATM has salt over tones.

Doc

Edit: The recipe I posted was for 19 litres. I brewed 40.

Doc.

Maybe it woud have been more practical to have boiled the salt into a solution and added it to taste in the secondary? :unsure: By all accounts it can affect yeast as low as concentrations in excess of 50 ppm

Think you'll be pitching that second starter. :unsure:

Still think the Gose should round out into an interesting beer though. :beerbang:

Warren -

Gosenflasche.JPG

Five years ago I spent an evening in a Leipziger Gosenschaenke (Gose brewpub in the old East Germany).
Place was chockers on a Tuesday night and most drank the Gose with fruit essence.
I drank every version (incl. the banana flavoured :huh: ) and I recollect only a hint of salt that was albeit noticable straight away but couldn't say that it had Weizen flavours though. Maybe it was fermented on the cooler end and thus restrained the phenolics and banana esters (even harder to pick in the babana version!!!). The sourness was present and refreshing but also subtle and not Darren lambic-like :ph34r:

Here's a pic of a typical Gose bottle brought over in hand luggage, contents distributed amongst the Flocculators last year.

tdh

p.s. pronounced Gaw ze (have to hear the 'e' on the end too)

On the neck label it say's ingredients are - water, wheat malt, barley malt, hops, yeast, coriander and salt.

So definitely malted grain in this version.

tdh

Just kegged one fermenter of the Gose. Had a taste and yep she is a salty old dog.
Going out on a limb and hoping that it may be more palletable at a lower temp, or blended with something else. Looking like the second fermenter is going down the drain though.
If I brew it again I'll definitely being doing a test solution as Warren suggests.
Great bottle tdh. When I get back to Germany I'll be looking for an authentic bottle to taste to see how many hundreds of miles off I was :p

Beers,
Doc

I don't fancy your chances at a lower temp, Doc, but blended sounds the goods.

Either that or a shot of some form of cordial or glucose syrup to each glass will cut the saltiness. Maybe something along the lines of the Berliner Weisse crowd. :unsure:

Better solution than chucking it out Doc. That's always a tragedy. :ph34r:

Warren -

The cordial sounds like a great idea. Lime cordial maybe the go. May just have made that Radler I was planning 6 months ago :lol:
Top idea Warren.

Beers,
Doc

It came off gas this morning.
Had a taste this arvo and pow the saltyness of this Old Gose is right there.
Mixed in some Schweppes Lime Cordial and it made it drinkable. Made it taste like a frozen salted margarita.
Got half way through the schooner and tipped the glass.
So it isn't looking good.
Will try blending with other beers I have on tap at the moment, but the other 23 litres still sitting in the fermenter is looking like lawn food.

Doc

Doc,

that was an awful lot of salt to add to a brew... Are you sure that's the correct quantity??

Ross said:
Doc,

that was an awful lot of salt to add to a brew... Are you sure that's the correct quantity??
[post="100324"][/post]​

Right now I'm positive it wasn't.
Will need to dig up the issue of BYO with it in to re-re-re-recheck the quantities.

Doc

Latest posts

Back