Good quality internal door handles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
Im gonna go out on a limb here and ask if any one knows or has had experience with internal door handles? Builders and renovators? Our house is almost 7 years old and we have been here 3 years but it has a few things that need fixing up like the door handles. We have tightened some of them up so many times (the screws through the door get loose) we are ready to piss them off and get new ones. These ones are noisy, stiff and poorley installed.

Price is a factor but you get what you pay for too. So does any one know what is a good brand,type etc. Lockwood ones are about $55 from Bunnings? We need about 9, one privacy.

Cheers.

I bought Lemar from Bunnings. Decent quality but only the privacy sets came with latches so they worked out cheaper than the passage. I've got to go and re-tighten the ones I was too lenient on though.
One thing you should check is that existing holes are similar to the new handles so you don't have to make much modification. I had to fill the old holes with dowel, sand and fill, then re-drill.

I found Legge Pacific door furniture was pretty good but you may have to go to an architectural door furniture company.

Before you decide i would check if the new furniture (handles) has the same prep. work in the door as the existing or you may find that you will have a lot of patching and redrilling to do and depending what your doors are this may not be possible and will need replacing.

Have never used the lockwood handles so no idea of quality, just remember that the latch is just as important and you don't want handles (levers) that sag after a while. This can be caused by wrong cut out, poor quality return mechanism inside handle and or poor quality latch

A big problem with door furniture is that most is made in countries where no quality assurance practices are in place they just quote ISO9001 and don't know what this means. It does not mean you are getting a quality product can be far from it.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but don't want to give you a bum steer

nev

speling Iso9001

Thanks for the info guys. Im a bit worried about the bit in the door frame coz they where'nt put in too well plus Im not sure if they will match. Im not too bad with a sharp chisel but it might need more than that. I'll have to take one of the old ones with me to compare the door hole size. Or I could just meassure it :huh:

Cheers.

nosco said:
Thanks for the info guys. Im a bit worried about the bit in the door frame coz they where'nt put in too well plus Im not sure if they will match. Im not too bad with a sharp chisel but it might need more than that. I'll have to take one of the old ones with me to compare the door hole size. Or I could just meassure it :huh:

Cheers.
I'd have thought they would be pretty much standard cylinder sizes etc. The outline of the handle "base" might vary though I guess. We built last year and stepped up the handles throughout to brushed stainless Lockwood, pricey yeah, but talk about sturdy.

fraser_john said:
I'd have thought they would be pretty much standard cylinder sizes etc. The outline of the handle "base" might vary though I guess. We built last year and stepped up the handles throughout to brushed stainless Lockwood, pricey yeah, but talk about sturdy.
I am hoping thats the case. Hopefully i can look at some displays too.

All depends on what you have.
Is the new handle ( known as door furniture ) going to cover the existing paint marks etc as the existing " handle", saves repainting.
Is the new handle the same backset as the existing, backset is the distance from the front edge of the door to the centre of the handle,the domestic industry standard is 60 mm .
Some privacy latches do not match others,so some mods may need to be done.
Some door furniture is mounted on the door through a standard 54 mm hole,others use any number of mounting configurations.
Best take one off and take it to a hardware shop and ask for options that don't involve repainting or hopefully drilling larger holes through a door that already has holes in it as trying to drill over existing holes can't end in .....swearing.[

Mortise latch

image.jpg

Backset, 60 mm from edge of door to centre of handle,knob

.image.jpg

Striker plate.
image.jpg

Mortise latches are generic your existing should suit the new handle so no worries there.
The same if using a passage set or privacy set,the locking mechanism in internal doors is in the handle/ knob nothing to do with the striker plate.
Striker plates are generic as well.
Cost is a factor and the name says a lot in that department,Lockwood etc.
Internal door furniture is pretty much same o same,Bunnings etc have a large range and there are many that look the same,have a different name and yet do job.
Gainsborough is one that Bunnings sell but under another name,try to find one the same colour/ finish as the existing, as the shape of the striker plates vary so buying one the same colour won't need the striker plate changed.
The pics I have posted are of Gainsborough handles,they require 3 holes for mounting which consists of 4 threaded screws into a ferrule in the centre and the mongrels are for ever moving,the copped a bit as the kids were growing and couldn't quite reach so they pulled on them as kids do ,therefore putting strain on the mounts.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Spog. Great info. We might go and have a geez this weekend. I don't think we'll replace them all at once but that would be the best way to do it. We have round type striker plates (pita) so it might pay to replace them with rectangle ones too. At least I know what to look out for now.
I got my tax money today but I want some electric upgrades in the brewery so the door furniture might have to wait :D Thanks again.

Back