Good Microbreweries In Scotland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
Taking a wee trip back to the old country for a wedding and spending a month tooling aroond. I'll be visiting some of the more lonesome breweries on the Orkney (Orkney Brewery, Highland Brewing Co.), Shetland (Valhalla Brewery) and Faroe Islands (Foroya Bjor) towards the end of the trip. Has anyone had any recent (or past) experience of good (smallish) breweries in Scotland? I know I should drop in to Traquair House brewery for starters.

Mate if you're garn be in Scotland you should be drinking as much SINGLE MALT as possible!

:)

And unfortunately no, I don't know of any micro's....try and google it (if you haven't already).

Alas, I never touch spirits, so I'm not a very good Scotsman. But the Scots do brew good beer as well. Yes, I've googled until my eyes have bled and picked up a few good places. Just wondering if anybody had personal experiences.

Clockwork beer company in Glasgow is well worth a visit even if it is out of the city centre. Way out.

The other great thing is that when your major breweries are producing the likes of Deuchars IPA etc. then macros are a bonus really :)

I didn't do much micro brewery touring outside of that one really but a few places I can recommend for beer if you are in Edinburgh.

The Bow Bar (down the small road connecting the North Bridge to the Grassmarket I think it is from hazy memory.) 5 guest taps and no other pretentious stuff. This is a bar for chilling and drinking.

The Guildford Arms. Watch for the odd off pint but it's a great looking pub inside.

Oasts and Toasts bottleshop. I can't remember the exact addresses of any of these but google should get you there.

Otherwise if you PM me I'll try and remember to look in the Good Beer Guide for these and other highlights.

Get to love Scotch Whisky - stay in Dufftown which has no less than 7 distilleries. A couple of them are really good too (eg Balvenie).

If visting Orkney you can go to Highland Park distillery.

All the pubs in Edinburgh were really good, what a nice place that was. If only the AUD wasn't like the peso over there all would be good.

Back