Good Deal On Urns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 40 ltr crown unit is indeed a very tasty bit of brewery bling (so nice and shiney!!!!). Got a concealed element too, so might be good for those BIAB heretics out there! ( :ph34r: )

Hope to post some photos soon.

:icon_cheers: SJ

i contacted them and they wont post, only pick up from factory, they mentioned to try local outlets that might have damaged stock from transport and the like. dam, oh well got me the 20litre one for 80 bucks which will have to do for now.

Any takers living near Crown industries who might be willing to pick up a 40 litre urn and send it over to Adelaide? If there is still one available for the price listed by OP, I am looking at buying it on Wednesday 18th.

I checked in Adelaide and there are no scratch and dents available.

PM me if anyone is willing to help out, I can organise to pay for the urn directly to Crown, and then pay for postage to a nominated account.

Cheers,

Crundle

I spoke to soon. The diffusers are 130mm x 150mm, they are set in a collar to suit the different sizes Crown urns. I've asked for a separate price on the diffuser but not to confident on them being sold separately.
10lt $67 + gst
20lt $68 + gst
30/40lt $71 + gst.
Getting up there a bit in price for a s/s hop sock but not unrealistic.

Just organised with a mate to buy one of the seconds urns from Crown, the only thing is it hasn't got the concealed element, but I don't mind, just want to get into AG quickly now. Should have it posted over to Adelaide in about 3 or so days!

*looks at calendar repeatedly*

Now to make up a bag and order my first grain bill...

Crundle

Just organised with a mate to buy one of the seconds urns from Crown, the only thing is it hasn't got the concealed element,

Crundle

Crundle, are you sure... the concealed element is one of the positive features of the Crown unit against some of the other brands. One of the main reasons we now stock them.

cheers Ross

Crundle, are you sure... the concealed element is one of the positive features of the Crown unit against some of the other brands. One of the main reasons we now stock them.

cheers Ross

In the specific case of BIAB the concealed element is an advantage if you want to continue applying heat during mashing although you might still need a false bottom to avoid burning the bag. In my case with my Birko - exposed element - I get to strike temp, switch off power, dough in and insulate the whole thing with a doonah. Possibly not so efficient in Victoria in the winter however!

Currently cleaning up my urn from the American Amber Ale (go March BABBs mini comp :super: ) and the element is as clean as, even after a 90 min boil.

However having said that, if I had my time over I would certainly look at a Crownie from Ross as, in Brisbane particularly, there are very few outlets for urns and bought one from a catering company at Moorooka in December. In the UK (as I have banged on about often), there is a plastic urn called Bruheat which home brew shops sell in shedloads but here in OZ we have to get an urn to replicate that experience, so the more choice of suppliers the better.

Does anybody know how long it takes one of these things to get to the boil (or, say, form 66C to the boil?)

Cheers

Ben

Flattop and Crundle both have the Crownies now, they may be able to tell you. I haven't accurately measured the Birko yet as I'm usually flat out doing things while it's coming up to the boil, emptying the bag and washing it out, preparing the cube and hop additions, sweeping up in general, and a couple of times it's surprised me and boiling away nicely.
From the anecdotes on the forum I get the feeling that the concealed element is a lot slower in getting the wort to the boil and doesn't do a particularly energetic boil even then but that's conjecture.

With the 40L Birko I have to boil it on 95 (on a scale up to 110) or it's too fierce.

I might take some photos with a clock in the picture and post them, and maybe some Crown owners could do likewise.

The great urn boil - off hey :lol:

I won't be brewing until next Friday but I'll try to remember. ;)

I have a crown 40L...

To get a preboil volume of 29odd litres from 68 to the boil normally takes around 15-20 minutes with the lid on, which I then remove once it's boiling..

I use this time to chill a sample for SG testing, squeeze my bag, measure out my hops, perhaps read a book to the little one if she wants to come and be involved..

Back