Gluing wood to keezer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
To hold a drip dray, I'm going to screw some bookshelf brackets to some pine and Liquid Nails it to he keezer. It's an aluminium drip that's quite light, will the Liquid Nails be up to the task?

liquid nails can be bloody strong, but is not substitute to screws. Remember the liquid nails won't be just holding the drip tray, it will also need to hold the beers that people sit on the drip tray and the occasional pissed mate who leans on it. Do you have a wooden collar on your keezer? If so attach your bracket with screws to the collar.

It would work but it would be a bad choice. As mentioned it may work for a while but will definitely be an accident waiting to happen, eventually getting ripped of leaving some nice glue residue on the fridge for you to clean off as well as figuring out another way to attach it. Save yourself some work and find another way to do it.

Yeah liquid nails is shit. Only rarely do I discover it doing it's job when we demolish during reno's.

Sikaflex or Bostik Seal n Flex is great glue and /or sealant. We had to undo a screw-up years ago and had to rip up some hardwood that we had Sikaflexed to a polished concrete slab and it ripped the surface off the concrete.

I agree, never rely on glue alone but at least use good glue.

Can you screw into a freezer?

I used liquid nails, the second i turned the keezer on... BAM it fell off, denting the wood. (The heat from the freezer coils exchanging heat)

I ended up using Araldyte.. I can lean on it (95kgs) and it doesnt budge. I regularly put my 5L jug on there and fill it up as i'm cleaning the lines rather than standing there holding something to run it in to. I think it could hold a small child.

Make sure you clamp it (get a couple of 90x45 peices and clamp from the top and brace at the bottom with weight and jam it in there), OR if possible, lay the keezer down on its back, as Araldyte does run, i had some runs and it just needs a sand and repaint (i painted mine black with dark stained pine).

I install signage for a living & the rule of thumb is to never trust just one method of fixing.

Sure, use licky nails but also use a few short self tappers. They'll only go through the skin of the keezer but will give the hold more strength

Unfortunately, no method of fixing is gonna stop it getting ripped off by a drunk mate leaning on it

My set up is similar to yours, except my collar is flush with the front of the freezer and my taps are closer to the top of the collar. The drip tray I have has a back plate with screws holes that I screwed to the bottom of the collar. I can lift it off the screws to clean and it leaves enough room to get a glass under the tap.

Clutch said:
Can you screw into a freezer?
Screwing into the freezer is high risk. I wouldn't do it unless you are confident you know where the pipes are.

In a lot of chest freezers and small bar fridges, the condensor (hot side) pipes run under the surface of the skins in order to get rid of the heat. Google for the cornstarch & alcohol trick for identifying the pipes. Basically you make up a paste, smear it on and see where it dries first. Still no guarantees though!

Nice Shed!

I tried magnets, I have really strong magnets that feel impossible to remove but they still slide so are unable to hold the tray. I will convert to screws as soon as I can figure out the best method.

At bunnings, go and look for the grey/black coloured double sided tape meant for outdoors use.

I stuck on to a polished tile wall a big timber towel hook with two small bits that was still there a year on when I left, used everyday. That stuff is easy to use and rock solid. Except someone going to sleep on it overnight it should hold up to occasional leaning drunks.

Cheers for the assist guys, am trying Araldite today.

I just noticed yours is Aluminium.. mine is stainless, you will be right for sure! I did exactly the same thing, brackets screwed into pine, then sit the drip tray on top, easy to remove for cleaning, AND you can unscrew the brackets to make it easier to move through doorways ;)

Make sure you give it a little extra time to bond before you take the clamps/weights off. I think mine was out of action for a few days, but its better to be safe and drink bottled beer, than to be sorry and have it out of action for longer to reapply.

use a couple of countersunk self tapers and use industrial liquid nails,you can fill the screw holes with filler and a coat of paint if its a fridge door

She came up good. Don't think that the Araldite's going anywhere... Holy shit that stuff is strong.

The owner is a good mate and likes my beer.

Latest posts

Back