Glass Stress Lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A couple of nights ago after drinking, then washing a couple of bottles of homebrew, I noticed that there appeared to be stress lines on the inside of some of the bottles. They looked like tiny cracks in the glass all running parallel to each other.

Does anyone know if bottles can get stress lines or if they just explode?

Nothing worse than bottles exploding. :angry:

Edit: The beer was not overly fizzy (was left in secondary and not overprimed).

Ryanator,

Is it possible that you are observing brush marks in the bottle, rather than stress marks?

Have seen the same thing before and re-cleaned the bottle with detergent. All good!

Seth

Brush marks? As in marks left from using a bottle brush?

I didn't wash the bottles with any type of sanitiser. Only used hot water. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever noticed these when sanitising my bottles for bottling.

Back in the days when I used to bottle :ph34r: :p i had one of those 2 handled manual cappers. It'd routinely break bottles by cleanly snapping the top inch off the neck of the bottle, it would make a beautiful clean break. Sometimes it wouldn't actually break it off but crack through the glass so that it was still attached, but only just, and it wouldn't have stood up to any kind of pressure.

What type of capper do you use? Maybe this is where you're getting your stress fractures from?

I've been using a bench capper for all of my bottling.

Latest posts

Back