Glass Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has made up some webbing basket kind of things with handles out of nylon webbing (like seat belt material) so that he can carry his easily. But the milk crate ideas not a bad one either.

Sorry again batz.

Justin

Justin. I've seen something similar to that advertised in Zymurgy,

Sounds a good idea. Obviously seatbelt material is very strong. Milk crates are good but the only problem is you can't leave the carboy in them when you put two of them into your fridge. Space becomes an issue. But at least you're only lifting a carboy from the ground to your refrigerator shelf.

Warren -

Hi Batz,
Bit o' bad luck there, :eek: :angry: :(

What yo need mate is on of those wire, pivoting container holders, similar to what you see Galiano in.
Just leave it on the bench and when you have finished brewing and it is cleaning time just pivot it to clean and empty.
This could be something else that you start to manufacture for brewing when you settle in QLD.
I think I'll stick to plastic for now.

Cheers

Well dicko I think it was a bit like youe stuck sparge , had to happen
I've used it for wine making for some years without a problem

Warren,
Wet hands yes , hard to wash a carboy and not get wet hands

Shit Happens <_< <_<

Oh and thanks PM

:angry:

Batz,

Yes, hands do get wet. But rubber gloves help here. Particularly the one's with the pimples on the palms that look like ping pong bats. Think Ansell make 'em. I've also found that having a towel nearby when cleaning these beasties helps as well. :D

Home-made proverb. Three wet towels less trouble than a blue foot. ;) ;)

Warren -

One word BUGGER, although one starting with F would also work.

Lets hope the beer gods are smiling on you again now.

Doc

To go with Warren's first three rules.

Rule #4, glass carboys hate thermal shock and temperature differences.

Use room temperature water for all washing and rinsing. Even sitting the carboy on a cold damp towel, then putting warm water in it is enough to crack it. I had mine sitting on cold (6 degrees C) damp grass and put about 3 litres of warm (about 30 degrees C) water in, and it cracked the base off.

The HBD over the years has carried many tales of nasty happenings with glass fermenters. Long live stainless steel.

Hmmm... Brewed in a set of 3 glass carboys at 5G, 6G and 6.5G for five years and never broke a one. They glide ok along a linoleum floor if you're careful of how you push them. When you lift, one hand on top, ONE HAND ON BOTTOM. Don't trust friction enough to grab the sides - always always always one hand square on the bottom. Back where I'm from (where, admittedly, the market in these glass things seems to have become self-sustaining), you can buy handles to fix on the top around the neck under the lip. I recommend them, but DO NOT LIFT THE FILLED CARBOY WITH IT ALONE. Empty sure, full no. We are not responsible for the lost floorboards. Lawyers on the release. And even if you use the handle you always have to put ONE HAND SQUARE ON THE BOTTOM. And always ask yourself: do I have to lift it? Is so, ask: what's the least distance from the floor to the shelf? Never underestimate the utility of a trolley with straps.

The milk crate idea is hype, Warren. nice. Good hack.

northern brewers are hard to teach <_< :blink: :ph34r:
thermal dynamics batz. :ph34r:

ouch broken carboy, that sucks. I use one for my secondary and think it's fine. I used it for a primary but the lid and the airlock kept getting blown off. personally I can't taste a difference between the glass carboy and the polar water jugs I took from my office. The benefit of these being that they don't break.

Which has more effect on reducing oxidation reactions, the tapered neck reducing surface volume open to air, or the glass having less permability than the plastic to air?

If its the neck that does most of the work, I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those plastic water coolers myself, much easier to work with.

sam

Latest posts

Back