Glass Carboy vs Better Bottle vs Demijohn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts?

Looking at about 15-16l into primary in a temp controlled fridge. I have a 30l plastic fermentor at present and want to reduce the headspace.

Will do lagers come winter and would like to rack to secondary.

Choices of demijohn, carboy or the better botte from Grain and Grape?

if you go better bottle go un ported and rack out with a cane. wish i had of done that.

Why is that barls? If I went that way I was going to go un-ported anyways just for ease of sanitation, any other reason for you barls?
*edit: bloody auto correct

the cost. also I've had issues with the ported bits cracking. apparently they don't take nicely to being soaked in pbw

Better bottle tap & racking unit too expensive. 23 litre to the bottom of the neck. Being clear means you can see what is happening and the PET cleans easily. Low oxygen permiability of BB PET an advantage for long term ferment/lagering.

I have 2 better bottles I think they are pretty good, nice and light but have to watch the airlock suck-in when you go to lift them up. I'm going a Brew Bucket next but that's a bit big for your 15L brews. Coopers have a good little 15L fermenter that doesn't require an airlock that could be an option.

And where are you guys buying better bottles? I'm having trouble finding any in NSW. Or even Vic. Shipping is a bit expensive so hoping to reduce that by buying as local as I can.

Joel

I just bought a better bottle from Grain and Grape online. Shipping was expensive but not ridiculous, price of living in Tas.......
Also going to buy a couple of 15l demijohn from my local/not so local hbs when I get home from work in a couple of weeks.

I also use the 12 litre Aqua-to-Go bottle as a fermenter, after using the water in a brew. Cheap, small fermenter @ $10.

Latest posts

Back