Glass Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys

While most of my 20 doz. bottles are made up from the original old draught bottles and crownies, (being brown glass) I also have about 2 dozen Hahn premium and LB/HB bottles.... which are green

I know not to use clear bottles, But are green bottles in a way affected more by UV light than brown bottles, simply because they are lighter?

ONly asking coz i saw a reply to someone posting the Hahn bottles for sale in the trader section.... telling to look out for green bottles....

Ben

It's not that green glass is "lighter" than brown. The problem has to do with the part of the spectrum that green glass lets thru. If you store your bottles somewhere completely dark, obviously the colour is not a problem. If you have them in a non-light sealed cupboard and plan to age the beers for any length of time, green glass is inferior to brown.

I use all Grolsch. I keep em covered. No problems so far.

im with pomo on this one. keep them out of the light, and it doesnt really matter what color they are. i keep all my bottles in cardboard boxes to keep any light out.
joe

From Our Lord Palmer:

Skunky
Skunky or cat-musk aromas in beer are caused by photochemical reactions of the isomerized hop compounds. The wavelengths of light that cause the skunky smell are the blue wavelengths and the ultraviolet. Brown glass bottles effectively screen out these wavelengths, but green bottles do not. Skunkiness will result in beers if the beer is left in direct sunlight or stored under fluorescent lights as in supermarkets. In beers which use pre-isomerized hop extract and very little flavoring hop additions, the beer will be fairly immune to damage from ultraviolet light.

The last sentence explains how Ice, Cold, TED etc manage to taste foul without being skunky.

Come on guys, arn't we being a little sensitive here?
<_<

I use grolsh bottles, never had an off flavour though i have never have kept beer for longer than three months.

Jeeze just throw a towel over your bottles! :rolleyes:

Drinking in the dark sometimes seems to help, but then again .. my name's wee stu, and I have a problem :ph34r: :(

I use both grolsh bottles and dark green champagne bottles
I usually drink my beer about 5 to 6 months old
I am currently drinking a simple Lil Creatures clone made in May last year mmmmm
No problem so far , after 3 years brewing , could be my taste buds but do not think so . Have had comments that my brews taste nice and clean
Some of my stouts are 18 months old
I store my brew in the garage ,fairly dark, with the doors shut ( no windows ) and need a light to see well in the day

Skunkiness will result in beers if the beer is left in direct sunlight or stored under fluorescent lights as in supermarkets.
I don't think any of us keep our beer in direct sunlight. Paranoia over.
:)

Back