Getting numbers right

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABBA110360

Reaction score
I've been have a go at cpa clone recipe
I fairly new to ag and biab
doing double batches mashed @ 65 in 42l then rinsed the bag in 20l @ 65c combined pre boil of 56l
cubed 46l
sg 1.046 in f/v fg1.004
hyd is correct @ 20c
can someone explain why i'm fermenting down so low as I was only after mid to high 4's in alc not over 5 as the numbers would suggest and that's kegging bottling would be higher
thanks in advance
ken

What yeast? Are you sure of those temps? If your thermometer is out you could be mashing lower than expected

Yob said:
What yeast? Are you sure of those temps? If your thermometer is out you could be mashing lower than expected
re cultured yeast from coopers pale ale a 3 l starter grown from 6 stubbies -digital thermometer that reads 100 at boil not a cheapie either
used 5.2 ph stabiliser ferment temp was about 23 area

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but nothing you have said indicates a problem pre fermentation. Granted I'm not that familiar with the coopers yeast but I imagine 1.004 is very low for it.

What's the taste/smell like? Can you detect anything that shouldn't be there?

View attachment 66394
GABBA110360 said:
doing double batches mashed @ 65 in 42l then rinsed the bag in 20l @ 65c combined pre boil of 56l
cubed 46l
sg 1.046 in f/v fg1.004
hyd is correct @ 20c
can someone explain why i'm fermenting down so low as I was only after mid to high 4's in alc not over 5 as the numbers would suggest and that's kegging bottling would be higher
thanks in advance
ken
The following picture is a Brewmate recipe for CPA, as can be seen from the recipe, a lot of sugar is required to get the FG
down to 1,006.
The criteria for an Australian Pale Ale is :
OG : 1.044 - 1.050
FG : 1.004 - 1.006

In my experience to get a very low FG such as 1.004 - 1006 without adding sugar is very difficult.
Most commercial breweries use copious amounts of sugar....cheapness !

View attachment 66394

Coopers Pale Ale.png
GABBA110360 said:
cubed 46l
sg 1.046 in f/v fg1.004
hyd is correct @ 20c
thanks in advance
ken
The following picture is a Brewmate recipe for CPA, as can be seen from the recipe, a lot of sugar is required to get the FG
down to 1,006.
The criteria for an Australian Pale Ale is :
OG : 1.044 - 1.050
FG : 1.004 - 1.006

In my experience to get a very low FG such as 1.004 - 1006 without adding sugar is very difficult.
Most commercial breweries use copious amounts of sugar....cheapness !

Coopers Pale Ale.png

manticle said:
Coopers yeast is a beast mate.
Fair enough mate - I knew it had a reputation for being aggressive but 1.004 is rather aggressive. Over pitched perhaps? But I can't imagine a 65'C mash being the cause of any issues. Maybe it's just simply the coopers yeast and we can all call it a day?

Coopers yeast can easily get to 1006 in a few days in my experience so two points either way wouldn't freak me out too much.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Whatever you did, keep doing it
i'll just keep doing it I suppose I has been only taking about 3 days to ferment a double
so I must be doing something right I suppose

Back