Get the finger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Went to see a urologist today as I have kidney stones that even AIPAs won't dissolve. They grumble on but no real pain episodes as yet.

Anyway he looked at the ultrasounds and said "better check your prostate while you are here" :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Quite forgot that the prostate is on the urninary canal as well. Well that 15 seconds was intense but not as bad as I imagined.

Quite a few older members here and I know many guys have a serious aversion to getting the greasy finger and it's easy to go into total denial and do nothing about it.

However, having avoided it for decades it went smoothly (mmm. smooootthhhh) but I'm not converted to the dark side and no I wouldn't want to spend some time in Long Bay.

However guys if you are over 40 - put the icky factor aside, go for it at your next GP visit. Can save you from an agonising death if detected early enough.

BTW, prostate smooth, PSA test excellent, no likelihood of any problems during my lifetime - 15 seconds well endured.

In the modern days of super high-tech surgery, imaging techniques, enzyme testing etc etc, how is it that a digit in the date is STILL the best way of checking???

I once got me and SWMBOs appointments mixed up.

Her prostate was fine but my cervix had this HUGE dangly thing hanging off it.

Nick JD said:
I once got me and SWMBOs appointments mixed up.

Her prostate was fine but my cervix had this HUGE dangly thing hanging off it.
You were pregnant?

If you didnt get given the option of having your prostate checked with out the digit up the bum. ie Blood tests, then I would be seriously pissed!

KingKong said:
If you didnt get given the option of having your prostate checked with out the digit up the bum. ie Blood tests, then I would be seriously pissed!
That's the PSA test that I always get (Prostate Specific Antigen) - however not all prostate cancers cause PSA levels to rise so that test can be a false friend. Rectal digital examination remains the first option.

Somewhat like "your eye is hanging down your cheek on the optic nerve". Yup but the blood tests show clear and the scans on the eye show it to be a good eye.

surly said:
In the modern days of super high-tech surgery, imaging techniques, enzyme testing etc etc, how is it that a digit in the date is STILL the best way of checking???
PSA test is only about 95-97% accurate.

Gamble with those probabilities? No thanks.

PSA levels can also be influenced by heaps of other things, like certain food supplements, medication, etc.

In very basic terms it just tells you that 'your prostate is doing something', but not what it is that it's doing.

For some it may also pay to investigate possible alternative prevention and treatment methods. Not saying there's anything out there that's proven to beat common methods, but having one's prostate removed can come with its own side effects and if there's anything that may prevent this then it's worth at least looking at.

Florian said:
For some it may also pay to investigate possible alternative prevention and treatment methods. Not saying there's anything out there that's proven to beat common methods, but having one's prostate removed can come with its own side effects and if there's anything that may prevent this then it's worth at least looking at.
Do you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?

....Medicine.

Fortunately we live in a country that is right at the forefront when it comes to cancer research, so there might be new research, ideas and approaches that your local urologist might not have heard of or implemented yet. So in that regard it may pay to keep your eyes, ears and mind open and do your own bit to investigate your treatment plan. Same as with anything, really.

But as Bribie has pointed out, early recognition is the key and isn't all that hard to achieve.

I've had mine checked a couple of times. Once when I had appendicitis (still don't know why one of the standard tests for that involves a finger up your arse, since to my knowledge, you can't reach the appendix from there), and once when I had an infection of the vas deferens. The finger isn't so bad, what I found most distressing afterwards was the lack of friction whilst walking due to the lube. The only thing to be wary of is the presence of a doctor's hand on both shoulders during the procedure. :blink:

Regarding the infection, they snaked a camera up into my bladder to have a look around. That was perhaps the worst procedure I've ever endured. The procedure itself was relatively pain free but due to the anesthetic I had the most intense feeling of having to pee (badly), but there was never any urine to pass. That lasted 4-5 hours. Absolutely horrific.

I lost my Grand father to prostate cancer so I will keep up the blood tests and digital exams, Cancer of any kind is no way do die....

Back