G'day from Viewbank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozwebfx

Reaction score
G'day from Viewbank!
My name is Richard, I'm 47 and originally from Sarf London. I have lived in Melbourne for 20 Years and 13 Years in the hidden suburb of Viewbank near Heidelberg in Victoria.
Whilst talking to a fellow Soccer Dad from my Boy's soccer training I mentioned that I'd always wanted to try home brewing and he told me how easy it was to get started and recommended that I visit Greensborough Home Brewing and talk to David.
So off I went and found David, he gave me a beer and we had a chat and I walked away with all I needed to get going.
I'm now on my Third batch of Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager (with additional beer improver pack and a Lager yeast) which has impressed me at how good these cans can be, I really didn't expect too much but it's very drinkable and Two of my mates like it also and are going to give it a go themselves.
I popped in there yesterday and got a few more bits and pieces and also a wort kit, this smells beautiful and I really can't wait to taste!
I have a first newby question ... When I'm bottling the beer what should I do with all the liquid that is below the tap level of the fermenter? It looks really cloudy so once I get to that point I stop bottling and coz it seems a shame to waste it I just drink it while doing the capping and cleaning up etc. Can I get sick from this? It seems ok to me and apart from a few farts doesn't seem to have hurt me!
I look forward to hanging around here and looking through all the tips and tricks that you al have been kind enough to share.
Cheers!

G'day mate, welcome to AHB.

Anything in the fermenter won't kill you, but, as you note, give you the farts if you imbibe too much yeast.

What I tend to do, and because I use liquid yeasts, is to harvest about a half a jar of the slurry, (sanitise, sanitise, sanitise etc etc) and pitch it within a few days into my next brew. That = Free Yeast !

Thanks mate, I've seen a few posts about harvesting the yeast and this is something I plan to do in the future. I'm taking baby steps and getting all my system to go right before I really jump in and start tinkering.

Gday Richard, I'm right next door in the Viewbank end of Rosanna (just off Banyule Rd) brewing all grain if you need any help when (not if) you decide to move onto all grain/partials etc.

TSMill said:
Gday Richard, I'm right next door in the Viewbank end of Rosanna (just off Banyule Rd) brewing all grain if you need any help when (not if) you decide to move onto all grain/partials etc.
Thanks mate, will bear that in mind!

3084 crew! Im in Watsonia but lived in Rosanna all my childhood. Still work in Rosanna across the road from Rosanna Primary school.

Keep going to Daves shop mate he will sort you out in the right direction. Once you have tasted one of his wort kits you will never go back to Tins of crap (goop) ever again trust me.

Happy to host a brew day with you all when i get my new house in October.

Fents said:
3084 crew! Im in Watsonia but lived in Rosanna all my childhood. Still work in Rosanna across the road from Rosanna Primary school.

Keep going to Daves shop mate he will sort you out in the right direction. Once you have tasted one of his wort kits you will never go back to Tins of crap (goop) ever again trust me.

Happy to host a brew day with you all when i get my new house in October.
3084 crew .. can just see the t-shirt!!

I went the other way, Watsonia to Rosanna.

Latest posts

Back