G'day from Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kit from brewer's den, has some dark roasted grains should be lovely!

1416464255554.jpg

Made that exact stout with the coopers can and irish stout mix from brewers den as my second brew years ago, added a teaspoon or two of instant coffee for shits and giggles. Was horribly astringent at first since the bloke reccomended boiling the grains for 45 odd minutes with the kit and olnly mellowed after a year and a half and submitted it into a competition just to see how it would fare this year 3 years down the track and scored 28/50 i believe which isnt too bad for a three year old kit brew

Dodgey advice from that place and relatively biased opinions ive found but they are geared towards ease of use and kit brewing. if you get a chance, have a wander down to keg king in springvale, the blokes there know their stuff and make up some very good extract kits themselves which you can buy at a fraction of brewers den prices

Good stuff, let's hope this one turns out ok too. I've made it for a friend and more than likely he'll hook into it by xmas.

The advice has been great so far. Peter has helped with some good tips and all things gone well so far and yes very easy too. I'd like to try all their booster kits one day as they sound pretty good.
I contacted keg king they only have fresh wort kits from grain and grape, don't do extract kits any more. Brewers den also have fresh wort kits, maybe in the new year I will try one.

My Irish stout has been bottled for 2 weeks so thought I'd try it tonight. Tastes pretty good, fairly smooth and about the right mouthfeel, not too thin but not too syrupy.
Pretty good considering I forgot the dextrose initially!

if it manages to get anymore time on it (a few months) it'll ony get bertter!

Nice one...

In my bottling days, I ended up with over 300 tallies.. was able to age them quite well at that number..

:beer:

Yeah I'll put some away for a while but I've given most away to my work colleague.
Will have to put another one on though. Was thinking of the Coopers extra strong vintage ale recipe to keep for ages, should be ok?

300 tallies is a great effort! :)
You must have brewed every few weeks for a while to get going!

I've got 6 weeks off from this Monday so I hope to put down 4 batches with my 2 FV's in between jobs around the home...

I'll have to make a trip for some more tallies

G'day everyone.
I just joined up and thought I'd introduce myself. I had a very lazy attempt at brewing at home a few years ago (read 10) which was put to an end by the ex-missues when I had a whole batch of bottle bombs go off whilst being stored under the dining room table! I now have a far more understanding better half and an area under the house to perform my magic, so I'm back on to it.
Looking forward to learning lots from everyone on here and supplying a few funny adventures for you all to get a laugh at.

keg042 said:
G'day everyone.
I just joined up and thought I'd introduce myself. I had a very lazy attempt at brewing at home a few years ago (read 10) which was put to an end by the ex-missues when I had a whole batch of bottle bombs go off whilst being stored under the dining room table! I now have a far more understanding better half and an area under the house to perform my magic, so I'm back on to it.
Looking forward to learning lots from everyone on here and supplying a few funny adventures for you all to get a laugh at.
Good to hear you ditched the ex-missus so you could resume brewing.

Fantastic dedication.

keg042 said:
G'day everyone.
Do some reading on final gravity and bottle bombs wont happen again.

bottle bombs,....a guy I know goes with the bottle-near-the-end-of-1st-fermentation to skip the priming step. Sure, he's had a bit of glass and beer spray his shed but it hasn't hit the kids so he's happy enough with it. He's also a switched-on high level business/tech leader on 2K+ a day...crayzeeeee

Latest posts

Back