G'day from a newbie brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyhey

Reaction score
Just thought a G'day would be needed.

My name is Darcy, I'm a begineer, currently brewing from extract in my Cooper's fermentor. But it's not really engaging enough for my liking.

I love my beer, but I'm also very intrigued by the process behind it, so I'm looking to educate myself to the processes of beer from grain to my mouth.

I'm a para-Engineer (mech) currently completing my degree. I've been working in Engineering in the water industry in Vic for the last 6 years. From my experience with fluid management, I'm also interested in apply that to my passion for beer. Before I begin anything I'm after understanding what exactly I'm trying to achieve, hense why I'm here. Unfortunatley living in a regional area has it's limitations, so I'm hoping this forum is a good source of info.

I'm a mod on other forums so will be sure to search first and keep myself in check. But if anyone can direct my learning, I'm always eager for assistance.

Some of the information is out of date (their are updated hard copies available for purchase) and not everyone finds the style wonderful but you can glean a lot of information from this text: http://www.howtobrew.com/ including info on extract, partial mash and full mash beers.

There's a number of different setups you can invest in to make full mash beer. The easiest and cheapest is brew in a bag (BIAB), the more complex include buying a braumeister (or making your own version), various types of software controlled recirculating systems and electronic pumping systems and some in between systems like bucket in a bucket, bucket o'death and gravity fed esky mash tun and converted kegs.

Every permutation in between also exists and it can all be as easy or as difficult as you'd like to make it. With an engineering background, I'd guess difficult. Enjoy the process.

Gday mate and welcome to the obsession :)

Hint re having a search, make sure to hit the drop down in the search function and select the google search, god knows why it's not default... anyway..

Plenty of info about the traps, its a pity the wikki articles are still down (being worked on from all account) and we all hope to see them up and running again soon.

Nice bit of country up that way :super:

Search.JPG

manticle said:
Some of the information is out of date (their are updated hard copies available for purchase) and not everyone finds the style wonderful but you can glean a lot of information from this text: http://www.howtobrew.com/ including info on extract, partial mash and full mash beers.

There's a number of different setups you can invest in to make full mash beer. The easiest and cheapest is brew in a bag (BIAB), the more complex include buying a braumeister (or making your own version), various types of software controlled recirculating systems and electronic pumping systems and some in between systems like bucket in a bucket, bucket o'death and gravity fed esky mash tun and converted kegs.

Every permutation in between also exists and it can all be as easy or as difficult as you'd like to make it. With an engineering background, I'd guess difficult. Enjoy the process.
Thanks manticle, I've already had a gaze over that link.

I'm actually more inclined to 're-invent the wheel' in terms of setup. I love to tinker, I can weld, install elecs, etc and learn best by doing it myself. I can appreciate this is not always an economical choice, but I find it fun and relaxing and that is why this will be a hobby. I'm also looking at electronically controlled setups with elec monitoring too. I know its WAY over the top for the homebrewer, but I'm a bit nerdy.

Yob said:
Gday mate and welcome to the obsession :)

Hint re having a search, make sure to hit the drop down in the search function and select the google search, god knows why it's not default... anyway..

Plenty of info about the traps, its a pity the wikki articles are still down (being worked on from all account) and we all hope to see them up and running again soon.

Nice bit of country up that way :super:

attachicon.gif
Search.JPG
Thanks for the heads up mate, I just figured it out when I tried to search and nothing came up.

Shepparton is a shithole. I'm originally from the Yarra Valley (still don't know why I moved here :rolleyes:)

I said nice bit of country... not Shep itself :lol:

ed: used to get up to Nagambie a bit when I was a wakeboard nutter... had the odd night out in Shep and that was enough... nice place to visit but you wouldnt want to get buried there :lol:

heyhey said:
Thanks manticle, I've already had a gaze over that link.

I'm actually more inclined to 're-invent the wheel' in terms of setup. I love to tinker, I can weld, install elecs, etc and learn best by doing it myself. I can appreciate this is not always an economical choice, but I find it fun and relaxing and that is why this will be a hobby. I'm also looking at electronically controlled setups with elec monitoring too. I know its WAY over the top for the homebrewer, but I'm a bit nerdy.

Nothing is over the top or too nerdy for homebrewers, believe me. Have a look at matho's braumeister homage. I'll see if I can find the link.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/57924-braumeister-nextgen-build/page-1 - You found it before me. That's one and the same.

Also unfinished but definitely of interest to anyone wanting to nerd out:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/16391-brew-rig-options/?hl=%2Bautomated+%2Bjonathon#entry226628

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/15376-how-high-tech-is-your-brewery/?hl

I prefer to nerd out on the specifics of mashing and enzymes (got a long, long way to go) and have fairly primitive, DIY equipment but there's a lot going on in some people's sheds.

Beauty, lunch break is over so, I'll check it out later.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back