Gas Leaking From Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brend0

Reaction score
So i kegged a batch of wheat beer last week in a new keg which i have not used before. I though i had tested it properly to check for leaks but clearly i missed something. The keg has been loosing preasure since i kegged and i have had to re-gas it several times. Finally i finished drinking the beer in the only other keg i own the other day and I was thinking of transfering it to that keg as I know it doesnt leak.

My question is can I transfer beer from keg to keg using the same method I would use in the pub?

i.e. degassing the front keg, attach the out-line on the full keg to the in-line on the empty keg, then turn the gas on the back of the full keg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am new to kegging homebrew but have a pretty god understanding of keg systems.

Also should I be worried about the beer spoiling, it has only been in the keg for 5 days and I have had no time to get to the LHBS and probably wont for several weeks... :(

Thanks in advance.

So i kegged a batch of wheat beer last week in a new keg which i have not used before. I though i had tested it properly to check for leaks but clearly i missed something. The keg has been loosing preasure since i kegged and i have had to re-gas it several times. Finally i finished drinking the beer in the only other keg i own the other day and I was thinking of transfering it to that keg as I know it doesnt leak.

My question is can I transfer beer from keg to keg using the same method I would use in the pub?

i.e. degassing the front keg, attach the out-line on the full keg to the in-line on the empty keg, then turn the gas on the back of the full keg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am new to kegging homebrew but have a pretty god understanding of keg systems.

Also should I be worried about the beer spoiling, it has only been in the keg for 5 days and I have had no time to get to the LHBS and probably wont for several weeks... :(

Thanks in advance.

Normally to transfer between kegs you would connect the outpost to outpost.
Then hit the full keg with CO2 (don;t need huge pressure), and using the keg release valve bleed the CO2 from the empty keg.

The idea of using both outposts is to deliver the beer to the bottom of the keg, and prevent the supply of beer from splashing.

QldKev

How did you gas it in the first place? Have you sprayed some detergent around the posts, lid and relief valve?

Generally takes a week under gas serving pressure to carb, if you only give it squirts of gas, the pressure will be absorbed as the gas goes into the beer, this will continue till the beer has absorbed enough gas - amount depends on temp and pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Zwickel posted how to do it, Ross gave it a go with pitures here:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...907&hl=line

I do it regularly now when filling a party keg, works so well and is easy as.

Batz

It could be just that the CO2 is just getting absorbed into the liquid as it should. But I know the worry of a potentially leaking keg. I lost alot of co2 from a leaking keg back when I started. I left the cylinder connected to gas up over a week or so. Found that my cylinder was empty and the beer wasn't fully carbed up. I went through all my kegs and replaced the seals just to make sure the same thing wasn't happening with my other 4 kegs. Very frustrating but I know I should have just done it from the start with the second hand kegs as recommended.

As the others have said, you can test the posts and lid sealing with a foaming spray. Starsan foams up nicely for me and should give an indication of co2 leaking out of a post or lid under higher pressure.

Bloody hell... :angry: i think i may have a leaking system somewhere... went down to the keg fridge last night to have a sample from 1 of 2 kegs i've had carbing since last Friday. (I know it's not best practice and have been told this before, but do it anyway, cause i thought my system was secure)

The gas reg shows needle very close to the red zone and the bottle feels alot lighter than i expected. Took a sample and it seemed under carbed compared to what it would normally be after 6-7 days.

Sprayed everything with starsan to check for foaming. All keg lids, posts, jg connections throughout... nothing. At best i've just got near to the end of the bottle, at worst i have a leak somewhere.

I would have expected more out of a 6.8kg bottle after 9 months and maybe 20 kegs.

Back