Galaxy hops and astringency. Is there a solution?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
I wouldn't call Galaxy's harshness "astringency".

I've heard cohumulone percentages generally convey the harshness of a hop, and if you go through a list of your favourite hops there's a correlation between those know as "harsh" being high in CH compared to those high AA hops known as powerful, but mellow bitterers.

Maybe hop "harshness" is simply cohumulone...

Look at Galaxy's compared to others.
OK, I don't want to get into a discussion on semantics of "harshness" versus "astringency", they are pretty much synonyms in my opinion. Anyway, I agree that the perceived harshness of Galaxy is probably due to high cohumulone and therefore dictates careful use of Galaxy. I must admit that as my recent Galaxy pale ale has aged the harshness has ameliorated but not completely disappeared. The lesson for those inexperienced with this hop is to use with caution.

The cat normally coughs up something that he's eaten along the way. It's often rough looking, but it is what it is.

Maybe, it's just you that's sensitve to galaxy hops? I might have missed it, but have you had other people try your brews?

I'm in the same experimental stage with hops as you and the 10 or so variaties (in my freezer)can really change the finished product.
Sometimes you go back to a hop you tried before (and disliked) and it hits a sweet spot.
Tastes mature very quickly when you start experimenting and it's often worth revisiting more potent ingredients down the track.

It's very possible that it's not the hops that are giving you an astringent sensation. Then again, you might just learn to give galaxy a miss for your own tastes.
Personally, I tend to keep my hopping rates on the low side until I get my head around the different flavours. A little like getting used to spicy dishes.

It's nice when my mates rave about my brews. It's better when I really enjoy something that I made.

Happy brewing!

This is how I like to use Galaxy.

Joan St IPA (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.069 (°P): 16.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.96 %
Colour (SRM): 10.4 (EBC): 20.4
Bitterness (IBU): 52.8 (Average)

88.61% Pale Ale Malt
6.33% Caramunich III
5.06% Cane Sugar

0.7 g/L Galena (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Love Galaxy, but I now only use it later than 20mins in the boil. I've bittered one brew at 60mins with Galaxy and I could have used it for paint stripper for the first few weeks. I left the keg at room temp for a month or so and it became a hell of a lot more drinkable, but I'm not going there again.
Interestingly my last Galaxy brew used homegrown POR at 60 mins for bittering and i had no issues with it at all. I think the massive flavour/aroma of the Galaxy just stomps over whatever is left after boiling POR for that long.

I have posted on this a few times. I am now at the point where I use it at 10 mins or less only...too astringent..back of the mouth lingering bitterness that is unpleasant. I think flameout or steeped is the way to go (especially if you are a NC brewer)

I'm currently fermenting an all Galaxy IPA that has additions at 60, 20 and 5 mins (50 IBU) It's finished primary and went from 1.064 to 1.013 (US05) I plan to get it down to 10 degrees, dump the trub and add 40 or 80g of Galaxy. I'm not getting any astringency at this stage, it has good hop flavour and the aroma is ok. It does have a sweetish flavour which I think is the hops not residual sugar. The hops are last years crop and were quite moist and sticky when I added them. I can't see any astringency being contributed by the dry hop unless someone can add more info.

I think what the original poster is describing is not astringency, which is sharp bitter taste which dries the mouth - Tannins are the best example of astringency I can think of. Is there another factor in the brew contributing? One of my first brews I steeped some spec grain with boiling water - now THAT was astringent. Massive tannin levels only welcome i a cab sauv.

It may just be that Galaxy isnt your taste. I personally love the bigness of this hop. Then again, I love lemon tart so strong it puckers the mouth. I used to eat Tang (that ascorbic acid drink mix) by the spoonful as a kid. Vitamin C were lollies to me. So Galaxy makes beer fun, just like an acid drop candy, only beer.

Chew on the skin of a passionfruit. If you enjoy the taste, then dry-hopping Galaxy is for you!

I add small amounts to the keg in S&W inspired ales. 10 grams or so, and love the results.

I found the same thing when I tried Simcoe. I found it a very harsh buttering hop, but it was only one batch I tried, and others loved it, so i just figured my taste buds find it harsh, or I had an old batch, or my ph was off, or I used too much etc etc haha

Bit of an old thread however it sounds like the same issue I have just gone though with my latest brew.

I knocked up a galaxy summer ale using the following:

30 grams cubed hopped
30 grams dry hopped for 7 days

It was about 20 IBU however it tastes like it's closer to 40 IBU, the malt profile was light so the beer is out of balance for what I was chasing. The aroma is fantastic though. Just the harshness takes over flavour wise.

I checked through my beersmith recipes, well over a year ago I did something similar but with this galaxy hop schedule:

35 grams cubed hopped
10 grams dry hopped for 7 days

Pretty sure I didn't have the harshness with that brew, so I'm wondering is it the amount of galaxy dry hopping that causes the harshness see that looks to be the difference? One thing to note both times I used galaxy leaf, not pellets.

I want to try again and see what I can do to get something along the lines of S&W Pacific Ale from a galaxy flavour / aroma hop point of view, my malt bill is different but still light.

Thanks

Saw this topic and read my original reply, and I still stand by that.

Have since used both flowers and pellets (flowers were from Yob to test Tassie customs at the time) and I still don't like using it as a bitterer.

Played well with Citra, Mosaic, and other newer American style hops, as a flavour addition (no-chill cube addition).

I tend to stick to Chinook (and if necessary CTZ) as a bittering addition early on - it ticks all the boxes for me.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Saw this topic and read my original reply, and I still stand by that.

Have since used both flowers and pellets (flowers were from Yob to test Tassie customs at the time) and I still don't like using it as a bitterer.

Played well with Citra, Mosaic, and other newer American style hops, as a flavour addition (no-chill cube addition).

I tend to stick to Chinook (and if necessary CTZ) as a bittering addition early on - it ticks all the boxes for me.
I would agree with you regarding the harshness from galaxy as a bittering hop, I won't be doing that again.

My brew above however was only cube and dry hopping where I still got the harsh bitterness so I'm confused as to how it happened / how to best use galaxy to get the most flavour / aroma without the harshness.

Cheers

would you consider using Ella as a bittering hop, or is it in the same camp as Galaxy ?

asking because I have a bunch of ella and galaxy, thinking how to use the combination....

I've found Ella to be extremely resinous and leave a harsh bitterness, even added @ whirlpool. Haven't actually used it yet @ 60. I love it for dry hopping though. I get a lot of tropical / pineapple from it.

Back