Galactic K&b

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed101

Beer Dog
Reaction score
For my fourth effort i'd like to add a bit of variety to the shed.

Sticking to ale Mrs Shed and I would like to get intergalactic. I've had a look at the Recipe DB but want to stick to steeping action and I couldn't find any obvious recipes that use Galaxy hops.

Has anyone got suggestions for K&B where Galaxy can come into its own?

... btw loving this homebrewing lark and the wealth of knowledge on this forum, can't believe I didn't start earlier :p

Have a look in the flavour of the week section, where styles, hops, etc are dealt with, and in there somewhere you'll find one on Galaxy.
This should give you some recipe ideas.

Converting is relatively easy if you aren't too worried about being exact. Find a nice pale ale recipe there to base it on, take a pale ale kit, some crystal malt and play with the hop additions.
You could also try searching for Galaxy using the Google search option rather than the default forum search. I haven't tried it yet but that should get you towards some more info as well.

Gday Shed

I have just bottled my Galaxy Pale Ale, tasted ok without carbonation. Didnt use any other hops, just trying to get a feel for what it does on its own. Others may have suggestions for what other hops it may go well with. Should be a bitter ale from initial taste tests, might need to back off the 60min quantity if you dont like your beers too bitter. Galaxy has a high AA% so

It was basically:

2 Cans of Light/Pale Liquid Malt (i use Coopers)
500g of Dex
300g Crystal Malt
(Above is my base Pale Ale, then add any hops you like!)

5L Boil with 500g (1/3 of Tin) of Liquid Malt (not the same hop utilisation as a 10+ Litre Boil, may need to adjust if larger boil)
15g Galaxy 13.4% AA @ 60
15g Galaxy 13.4% AA @ 30
15g Galaxy 13.4% AA @ 15
15g Galaxy 13.4% AA @ 0
Dry Hopped 10g when Racked into 2ndary.
Hops from Sponsor Mr Craftbrewer from up the top!!

Taste test coming up next week when fully carbed. Will get back to you with the final results!

If you want to up the ante at very little extra effort and procedure do an extract brew substituting the kits for liquid or dried malt.
Then, you can't go past my OZ Galaxy Pale Ale recipe that's in the database, one of my best brews and deliciously Galactic.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I notice both of your recipes use dextrose. I'm not too keen on using dextrose - any reason I can't replace with malt extract?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I notice both of your recipes use dextrose. I'm not too keen on using dextrose - any reason I can't replace with malt extract?

You should be fine, its just to up the alcohol % a little. Anything fermentable should suffice!

ive just gone down the same experimental road with galexy.
there is a thread that i posted with alot of ppl throwing in suggestions. probly wouldnt hurt to check it out.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=44093

been bottle for 2 weeks now(i think) so i might throw one in the fridge and let u know how it goes. as suggested in the thread above i think i may have over done it a little but it will still be beer i guess. will post again tonight

just cracked her
nice flavours and taiste but **** me its bitter. would look at only doing 10-0 min additions and alot less next time. nice dry hop though i recon. think i will try this one again, has some good potential

just cracked her
nice flavours and taiste but **** me its bitter. would look at only doing 10-0 min additions and alot less next time. nice dry hop though i recon. think i will try this one again, has some good potential

Galaxy can be a brutal hop if abused, but it's one of my favourites for pale ales. Give it another 3-6 weeks to mellow out, the harshness should subside, you will be drooling when you crack the next one. The passionfruit is amazing.
Cheers, John.

You should be fine, its just to up the alcohol % a little. Anything fermentable should suffice!

No, it's not just to up the alcohol a bit.
It's to help the beer finish a little drier with a lower FG.

just cracked her

Thanks for the heads up. Bitterness is not a problem :p

Back