furious/healthy ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickymac

Reaction score
so did my first extract brew sat late arvo
was an extract kit from daves home brew, a euro lager, followed all his instructions, dont know specific amounts as was all already bagged up but basically malt extract,Caramalt grain, Northern Brewer & Hallertau hops, irish moss & yeast to make 19L of European style lager, boiled it up, cooled it down and pitched yeast, used a saflager s23 yeast, dry ontop at about 20 deg, was a chilly night and my fermentor sit on a nice chilly slab of concrete, and is currently sitting around 16 deg, thing is and this is most likely good but the yeast took off like a rocket, my fermentor/airlock was bubbling away after a few hours and is still going strong, is this yeast known to take off and go crazy? my only exp so far is with us 05 and the s23 is burbling along way more
have had a sniff of bubbling airlock and smells tops, maybe slight sulfur but otherwise good and beery :)
cheers

Hi mate

I would guess that it took off fast because it is a lager yeast and a temp of 20c is high.

I think the recommended pitching temps are around 12c-15c

What temp is it currently at?

Cheers

hi chromakey, its currently sitting around 14-16 deg, the temp came down quite fast i think as its a stainless fermentor on a cold slab and it was a cold night when i pitched it

My current brew is a lager using s23 fermented at 13deg, and I never saw the airlock bubble once(it was positive pressure all along, but I never witnessed a bubble) in 4 weeks of fermenting. I would agree that the high(for a lager yeast) is the reason for the ferocity of yours.

Back