Full Size Stovetop Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm finally getting the hang of this AG thing, making a few mistakes still but getting to know my setup reasonably well. Have only really come across one problem at this stage:

When brewing with larger grain bills, lets say 6kg and over, I run in to a couple of problems with lifting the bag. Firstly, it's at chest height on the stove, so the lift itself is reasonably difficult and somewhat dangerous when the grain is at max weight - holding a heap of the liquid in those first few seconds. The other thing is, my pot diameter being 38 cm, the bag has a tendency when it's that full to want to bulge out over the edge of the pot and drip everywhere while I'm trying to let it drain for a little before moving it to my bucket.

Any tips for how to avoid this? My best thought so far is to get someone to help me lift the pot outside on to the ground so lifting it will be much easier, and I can deal with a little bit going out the sides in that scenario. However, this means I'll have to time any batches with a large grain bill for when someone else is at my parents place. Not ideal, especially as I tend to brew pretty late.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Burners really aren't all that expensive and don't take up a huge amount of room. Can you take your brewing outside completely?

I have been toying with that option, though from what I can tell the gas costs work out to be a few bucks per batch, and I'd hate to run out of gas during a brew...

Edit: spelling...

I use that very same element that Nick mentions, bloody brilliant!!

That looks great, actually. Very good price. Would fit nicely under the SS microwave tray I use to stop the bag from burning, too. Awesome. Will pull the trigger on that one, as long as it can boil reasonably quickly. Shredmaster - how long do you find it takes to get to mash temp or boiling temp with full size batches?

That looks great, actually. Very good price. Would fit nicely under the SS microwave tray I use to stop the bag from burning, too. Awesome. Will pull the trigger on that one, as long as it can boil reasonably quickly. Shredmaster - how long do you find it takes to get to mash temp or boiling temp with full size batches?

Mine is in a 25L bucket which I fill with hot water from the tap and gets to mash temp in about 15-20mins. From mash to boil is about 40mins I think, could be longer, I haven't really timed it, I'm too busy farting around with stuff at that stage or trying to figure out creative new ways of spreading wort and grains over the garage whilst burning myself randomly. Gets a good rolling boil tho, if I stick the lid 1/2 on or some alfoil it gets a really vigorous boil which will boilover quickly without watching it like a hawk.

Cleaning the element is a breeze too - just soak with napisan overnight and wipe off in the morning.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shred.

What kind of bag shape do you have? If you make a bag to size for your pot you shouldn't have any problems. But if it's too big, or a pillowcase shape, I can see there being a spillage issue.

It's more of a pillowcase type shape. I've just bought an element anyway, would like to be able to do it outside so mess isn't a problem. I'd hate to think how hard (and dangerous) it'd be to lift a IIPA's worth of grain out of a kettle at chest height....

Back