• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Fs: 5gal Esky Mashtun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm sellling my Coleman 19L beverage cooler esky as I've upgraded to the larger size for double batches. Its a great size for single batches and is also a nice compact size for storage when not in use (keeps the wife happy).

I have mashed just over 6kg of grain in this bad boy and I averaged over 85% efficiency. This is plenty for basically all single batch recipes. Only very strong beers would need more room, or you can just make a batch smaller than 23L. I chose this style of esky because it creates a good grain bed depth which is good for fly sparging and arguably also benefits efficiency. Its also much more sturdy and most other small eskies. I have measured temp loss over the course of 90mins. Sometimes the temp would drop 1 degree over 90mins, other times it would not drop at all (so basically no change).

This mashtun has a ball valve and a copper slotted manifold. It has always performed well for me. The copper manifold works very well as keeping the grain inside whilst allowing a good flow of wort. Because of this esky's design there is essentially no dead space at all as the ball valve sits a the lowest part of the vessel leaving no precious liquor behind.

Also available is a DIY stainless false bottom if wanted. I have used this false bottom only twice by laying it on top of the manifold. It doesn't work very well used like this as the two bits of hardware conflict in trying to do the same job. If the new owner wishes to use the false bottom I would suggest finding a way to mount it without the manifold in place (like I have done here with great success)

The esky itself is in very good condition and new is worth over $90

I'm asking $80 for the mashtun complete with manifold and ball valve.

You can have the false bottom for $10

I would prefer local pickup, but I might be able to arrange postage for around $25

Please PM with any questions.

Cheers,

David.

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

A couple of things I forgot to mention....

The brass nut visible inside has been treater (pickled) as recommended in "How to Brew" to make it extra food safe. And the little green seals you can see are 100% silicone.

cheers

This is a great Mashtun to start into AG brewing...

Now selling for $70ono :)

Back