Frozen Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamout

Reaction score
so it's just after lunchtime i've got the day off work - think it's beer o'clock,
open the keg fridge (i store the co2 bottle inside the fridge) and things look amiss,
there's a hissing sound of gas and the entire regulator / co2 bottle is covered in a thin layer of frosting,
moreso around the reg, and the beer line is frozen (keg isn't though). I've taken the bottle out to defrost,
and managed to get a nice pour out of the keg, but buggered if i know why it's all of sudden decided to do this,
it's been running fine for about 3 months now.
really hope i haven't stuffed the reg, after it was out of the firdge for 5 mins i turned the gas on again and the hissing has reduced
dramatically, it's still quite frozen around it though - hoping once it defrosts completed it'll be okay and i might try having it outside now on.

this sound like a safe option or should i be pulling it apart and or getting a repair kit from ross.

cheers,
Al.

so it's just after lunchtime i've got the day off work - think it's beer o'clock,
open the keg fridge (i store the co2 bottle inside the fridge) and things look amiss,
there's a hissing sound of gas and the entire regulator / co2 bottle is covered in a thin layer of frosting,
moreso around the reg, and the beer line is frozen (keg isn't though). I've taken the bottle out to defrost,
and managed to get a nice pour out of the keg, but buggered if i know why it's all of sudden decided to do this,
it's been running fine for about 3 months now.
really hope i haven't stuffed the reg, after it was out of the firdge for 5 mins i turned the gas on again and the hissing has reduced
dramatically, it's still quite frozen around it though - hoping once it defrosts completed it'll be okay and i might try having it outside now on.

this sound like a safe option or should i be pulling it apart and or getting a repair kit from ross.

cheers,
Al.

It sounds like you have a leak in your CO2 connections somewhere - my guess would be where the reg joins the bottle.

It is the escaping CO2 that is causing the freezing as when the liquid CO2 in the bottle turns to gas it happens at around -60 deg C.

Fix your leak and the hissing and freezing should stop.

I had the same thought straight away. CO2 leaks freeze your bottle and reg.

MFS.

cheers,
yeah i'll test for leaks once it all dries out,
it's odd though it's been in the fridge never moved for 3 months and then in less than 12 hours has decided to leak on me.

cheers,
yeah i'll test for leaks once it all dries out,
it's odd though it's been in the fridge never moved for 3 months and then in less than 12 hours has decided to leak on me.

Not odd really - Any system is fine until the day something gives & it's usually without warning. I've lost nearly 3 bottles of gas over time to leaks. Which is why I don't leave my system on anymore when not in use.
Trust you find the leak & it's easy to fix - Hopefully without any further expense.

Cheers Ross

Back